PDA

View Full Version : Servicing...

1995clio16v
22-02-2008, 18:09
Well ****ed off...

Just collected my car from its 6000 mile service interval.

''That will be £202 please...its needed some new rear pads so we put them on...

WTF!? I cannot believe that they just went ahead and did it. £80 they charged me. I only took it for a service. Anything like that I do myself as its a joke how much they charge me. They also added a load of friggin bulbs to the service list.

I didnt bother complaining because theyd fitted them so what can i do, ask them to take them off and put some the old ones back on!! And to be honest I changed the wheels last week, checked the pads, and there was still a bit of meat left on them, so i reckon theyve had me over BIG TIME.

Imo thats bang out of order just going ahead without even a call.

My question is what would you guys do here? Where do I stand with something like this?

BTW, these cars rape spark plugs!! Pick up was immense when I set off!! I presume low down torque is affected by duff spark plugs.

:twisted:

Rich
22-02-2008, 18:14
you asked them to service it. thats what they did. if someone takes the car in for a service you replace such items as you've said they have without asking. if not you should have asked for an oil and spark plug change.

most people would be highly ****ed off if they went to the garage and they had booked for a service and they didnt service it they just said 'oh your brake pads are low'. that almost like doing an MOT mate.

number1
22-02-2008, 18:34
Unfortunatley you took it in for a service so what was wrong will be fixed, you wouldnt like it if you went to pick it up and they said oh your rear pads are down, would you like us to book it in again? most people service there cars before they go on a trip or something so garages will do whats needed then and there

Dave

1995clio16v
22-02-2008, 19:12
Well you two are obviously thinking different to me!!

I was under the impression that a service was oil change, filter change, plugs etc..

What happens if the caliper wasnt functioning properly for example, would that be replaced without someone calling me, then I turn up and there's a bill for x amount? Or tyres, would they just be replaced without me getting a call?

Seems to be a grey area to me then, going off what you guys are saying..?

1995clio16v
22-02-2008, 19:14
Ive no problem with the pads needing changing, but surely I should have been given a call, the list could go on if we are playing like that!! Surely!?

Im not getting arsey with you guys btw! :o

Rich
22-02-2008, 19:25
they would just replace things like that and then bill you afterwards mate. a service usually constitutes a list of areas which they check for condition and just replace if they are not functioning as they should or are worn out. tyres they may consult you due to if you wanted summer or snow tyres on but i doubt it. they would prob put on the superseeded modles of what came on them from the factory.
Wait until Richy comes on and he will tell you what things you would get a phone call for before replacing (i'd imagine its not much tbh bar a new engine lol)

number1
22-02-2008, 19:27
Id personally change the pads if they needed doing without making any phone calls, (consumables) but ive been on the recieving end of annoyed customers because i have changed the pads without contacting them, some dont bat an eyelid, some customers also just asked for an engine service, which is just the basic's theres a lot more to servicing than you would believe, as for a car needing a new exhaust, caliper or anything non consumable then a phone call would be made, tyres are usually advised, as most customers like shopping around for tyres

Dave

titcharoony
22-02-2008, 19:33
im not so sure, i think you should have been called before pad change. if thats the case - ring them and ask how much they charge for a vehicle service. I bet its not £200. if it isnt, then surely anything above and beyond should be phoned in before replacing?

richy
22-02-2008, 19:36
tbh they should inform you of any item that needs changing and get autherisation off you before carrying out that work(even if just a bulb), but alot of places dont always do that, its proberly to late now but you should of complained saying that you did not autherise that work and you may of got it discounted.

usually with brakes on a service they will be checked and fully cleaned etc and if any discs/pads or other items are needed they will price up how much that would be on top of the service cost and then ring you for autherisation as said, (thats how it works at our place)

the only advantage is they have not just looked at them and let it go without question, which you may of had a problem/accident and been even more pissed off!

number1
22-02-2008, 19:36
Its sometimes nice when a customer says "just do whats needed" even then sometimes a phone call is needed if the part is super expensive, £200 does seem expensive for a service with just a pad change, They must've seriously took there time!!

richy
22-02-2008, 19:40
Its sometimes nice when a customer says "just do whats needed" even then sometimes a phone call is needed if the part is super expensive, £200 does seem expensive for a service with just a pad change, They must've seriously took there time!!

nah thats cheap pal lol

most basic services are £175 alone(at ours) then add cost of pads/labour on top(most reno pads are £30-£50+vat)

Lunner
22-02-2008, 19:52
Think about it, hour, couple of hours labour at at least £40 an hour, thats £80 straight away without any parts

number1
22-02-2008, 20:06
Ah you see my uncle whom i used to work for used to charge £25 an hour, bit cheaper down ere lol could service a valver and do brake check/replace anything wrong in 2-3hours tops pads are £22 trade from unipart, went in to price some up earlier

Dave

1995clio16v
22-02-2008, 20:08
Cheers for replies guys!

Its obviously a grey area!!

I just couldnt be arsed complaining as I said cause they'd done the work etc.

I was just pissed off that theyd done something like that, without phoning me, which I usually do to save money myself, being the tight arse I am :o

Their basic service is £130 inc Vodka And Tonic, for my car, but then there was the bulbs etc, labour for the pads, and pads which took it up to the 202 mark. Which in principal I suppose isnt too bad!

Im just a moaning bastard!! :P :shock:

number1
22-02-2008, 20:15
Lol it would kill me to have to put my car in the garage to have work done, the joy of being a mechanic! I'm so scared of getting miles away from home and my gearbox going or something and getting taken to the nearest garage :| nooo take me to halfords i'll change it in the car park! lol

1995clio16v
22-02-2008, 20:22
If im totally honest I dont know why I pay for servicing on the 16v.

I mean the only thing that they do of seriousness is oil change right/wrong?

Obviously a monkey can do this.

I presume they dont connect them up to a diagnostics or do they? Or get the fuel running correct or do they?

number1
22-02-2008, 20:28
Not unless it comes in with running irregularities.. tbh i think checking brakes and suspension are more important than the oil change, too many "home mechanics" i know have done something to the suspension or brakes and had me look at it and it's like F**K!!! there was a certain friend of mine with a clio (not mentioning any names) who left his strut to hub bolts hand tight "nice one!!" you can replace an engine, but you cant replace someones life, Brakes and suspension have to be spot on, no bodging

BRUN
22-02-2008, 20:33
they cant adjust fuelling its done by various sensors and the ecu

the only thing i used to take my car the garage for was an oil change and thats because the filter is an arse to get to and i cant be bothered disposing of the oil

spark plugs, air filter, etc you can change yourself

BRUN
22-02-2008, 20:33
oh and at work (Renault dealers) they call everyone for every addition to a job no matter how minor it seems

1995clio16v
22-02-2008, 20:36
oh and at work (Renault dealers) they call everyone for every addition to a job no matter how minor it seems

Was what I thought all along brun. Obviously i got the sticky end of the stick!!!

Anyway! Ill put it in writing to them next time!!

Brun and number1, think i might do my own servicing from now on then, ive no intention of selling the car etc.

Suppose the only good thing is they get to see under the chassis for any potential dangers etc..

number1
22-02-2008, 20:36
Thats the only thing ive ever considered taking my car to a garage to (oil filter) going to wait until halfords have a "you buy the oil we'll change it" promo on, go there with genuine filter in hand and sit back relax and hear the mechanics cursing!!

number1
22-02-2008, 20:38

Was what I thought all along brun. Obviously i got the sticky end of the stick!!!

Brun and number1, think i might do my own servicing from now on then, ive no intention of selling the car etc.

Suppose the only good thing is they get to see under the chassis for any potential dangers etc..

Have you got any mates who know there way around a car to an mot standard? give them a call!

Jamie.
22-02-2008, 20:38
Should have asked your permission.

I would have said take them off im not paying for that.

It was not part of the work i asked you to do.

1995clio16v
22-02-2008, 20:51

Have you got any mates who know there way around a car to an mot standard? give them a call!

Ive not mate no. Ill just guess!! :P

titcharoony
22-02-2008, 23:00
bloody £200 for a service? sod that.

Wobba
22-02-2008, 23:01
I'm very hot on this sort of thing. I always call them at a pre-arranged time to quiz them on whats wrong to make sure they dont go doing things like:

'Oh we changed the engine sir, as we spotted it was a renault one and they suck, thats £2000 plz'

cliorod
23-02-2008, 01:41
halfords have a "you buy the oil we'll change it" promo on, go there with genuine filter in hand and sit back relax and hear the mechanics cursing!!
Number 1,I know this has been a very emotive thread etc :( :( but would you REALLY trust an "HALFORDS" MECHANIC ??????,to change the oil filter and oil.Lets be honest the old adage ~~ You pay peanuts ~~ you gets monkeys" springs to mine.I would think and I am willing to stand corrected :oops: :oops: The majority of these people have very little or no mechanical training.
Maybe just me ~~ but I am a very cynical 58 year old,when I visit Halfords and similar stores,very good (sometimes) at selling you stuff,but anything else,trust in a trained mechanic.
Regarding the fitting of parts,outside routine service items,Serious items,brakes steering,tyres etc,will be changed ~~ Remember we live in an age of litigation :twisted: :twisted: .What would have happened,in the worse case scenairo,~~ you have an accident,then find out,your pads are down,tyres worn out etc etc ,after being in a garage for work ~~ A good lawyer would have a field day with the garage.
I do accept,that a courtesy call from the garage,BEFORE doing the work is the order with most Renault and other garages

number1
23-02-2008, 13:20
Yeh i can see what your saying, but if at the end of the day, i drive 100yds down the road and it spins a shell because mr halfords mechanic didnt do the filter up tight enough or put enough oil in, ill be straight back in there for a new engine, As when it comes to brakes etc, i dont trust anyone but myself on my own vehicles, do all my own servicing etc but id rather let a kwit fit trainee change my oil and filter than change my brake pads

Dave

cliorod
23-02-2008, 19:00
I hear what your saying,Must admit I am like you,regarding brakes etc.
However NO~ONE ~~ not even my favourite Renault mechanic :cry: :cry: gets to service on my Rally car ~~ I leave that to those that know about it !!! ~~ The cars builders :wink: :wink:

valver_Karl
23-02-2008, 21:03
when i take my car in for a service, i ask if they can ring me if anythin needs changing as i dont want a high bill