PDA

View Full Version : Toya Proxes/Grip Issues

Jamie.
20-02-2008, 22:29
Had some of these on of late.

Are they mega shit in the wet?

Had some P6000's and they were fine. Just I spun the car the other day (full 360 ) and have noticed some major, major grip issues.

Maybe its just possibly ice or greasy roads but it feels as if the car wants to go sideways all the time.

I have checked the tyre pressures, 32 and 30, the wheel nuts and seen if there is any play which there isnt.

I am a bit worried.

MAXIBOY
20-02-2008, 22:30
how many miles since fitting

Jamie.
20-02-2008, 22:33
Not many. Very new ish. So poss a few hundred or so.

number1
20-02-2008, 22:42
they take a while to De-glaze, there crap when brand new, as the miles go on they get better, p6000's are total cack! ive tried t1's t1'r and now px4 think there all pretty damn good tbh! good value for money but rather soft mind!

Jamie.
20-02-2008, 22:43
Had a tot up and I think its prob 800 miles. Had them on since early Jan. Do 1000 miles month.

MAXIBOY
20-02-2008, 22:50
should be run in by now then.

haven,t had proxes in an age. so can,t comment. :(

Jamie.
20-02-2008, 22:53
Gay, maybe its just me taking more aggresive lines or just the roads are very greasy.

Ok a couple of times it was frosty just on the way home today it was 6dc and pretty nice out.

I cant keep making excuses for this.

number1
20-02-2008, 23:34
Thats weird, some people say there rubbish but i cant fault them, the new px4's i have are just phenominal, even though i havent pushed them to there complete limits yet as i need a new driveshaft, dont think ill be trying anything else for a while

Dave

stevie_b
21-02-2008, 09:18
They definitely take time to bed in. My T1-Ss were rubbish when new - I had a few brushes with gravel traps, etc. as it just wouldn't hold on line but once they were a bit worn they were good. I guess that was after a few hundred miles, but a fair bit of it on track. Maybe if the roads have been wet and greasy your 800 miles hasn't really had a chance to wear them in much yet?

Jamie.
21-02-2008, 09:45
Yeh maybe.

I had a go at prevoking it this morning and it was much better. Maybe those particular roads were freakishly icey or greasy or something.

Still not great, will give it a bit longer then see how they are.

seanofnp
21-02-2008, 09:51
My t1-s dont like it being even removely slipperly, they aint too bad in the wet, but if its slightly damp or the road is a stoney sort of surface and its cold, they do like to slip...

tbh, dont drive like a nutta in bad conditions and love their amazing grip in the dry :D

talkingfish
21-02-2008, 11:35
I find that if the road is greasy they they arn't too special - no problem in the dry though. I've only covered around 500 miles with mine and that's what I've found so far.

white16valver
21-02-2008, 13:59
T1-R or T1-S? What size?

I had T1-S in 185/55

They were shit. :?

Not grip in anything other than the dry - and try and turn in and they roll over on the shoulders and don't 'bite' into the surface :?

When they break-away in the wet it's all or nothing - not at all progressive and you can't tell when they're going to give up gripping.

If you're running the cheap 195/50s then I would seriously seriously consider putting the toyos onto some track rims (to destroy later in the year when it's dry on track) and getting some F1s for about £35 a corner.

It may be another £150 on tyres but would you rather that or ££££ for paying out for something/someone you've hit because of the shit levels of grip that the toyos offer in the damp/wet/any emergency situation...

Daz.
21-02-2008, 17:48
F1's are just as shit in greasy conditions I get embarassing levels of understeer every day when I finish work coming out onto the roundabout - seriously anything would beat me round that roundabout...

FATBOY
21-02-2008, 17:49
ive had toyo proxes ever since ive had the car (4 years now) no problems. have to admit i dont "hammer" the car in the wet or on frosty mornings (asking for trouble IMHO)

Jamie.
21-02-2008, 18:08
Woooow, I haven't hammered the car in any crappy conditions.

It just feels like shit, and goes sideways with little provoking. My old tyres did nothing of the sort. Its not me driving aggresivley or 'hammering' the car.

I dont know what model Proxes these are, i thought they were all the same? I get them a bit cheaper than normal as the guy selling them did originally have them in for a Lotus Elise iirc and they didnt come and collect them.

Jamie.
21-02-2008, 19:02
Just checked and they are Tr1's. If that makes much difference.

number1
21-02-2008, 19:19
I think a lot of people expect more from there tyres, especially in greasy conditions there is not a tyre that gives immense grip, wet weather the greasyness of the road gets washed away and thats why theres more grip when raining than when its not rained for quite some time, roads get dirty just like your car! Summers a different story altogether then

Dave

FATBOY
21-02-2008, 19:49
sorry if that came across as snotty!

white16valver
21-02-2008, 20:01
F1's are just as s**t in greasy conditions I get embarassing levels of understeer every day when I finish work coming out onto the roundabout - seriously anything would beat me round that roundabout...
I agree that greasy roads = trouble on any tyre, but the F1s are progressive up to and over the limit of grip. Proxes are snappy and nasty and either grip or let go completely!

Jamie.
21-02-2008, 23:27
Just drove my wifes car and it also slides a bit. A bit more progressive but not quite as bad. Although her car weighs alot more with alot less power makes it more difficult to piss about with.

See how these ****ers run in the summer

number1
22-02-2008, 00:43
Oh they will stick 8)