PDA

View Full Version : Cutting out/Starting problems

Wadsley
20-02-2008, 17:32
I went through 5 30a engine management fuses yesterday after going through a ford. But the last time it cut out the fuse was ok, but the car was showing same problem (only the battery light lit up and the car would turn over but not spark) Today i found that i had 12v at the fusebox without a fuse in, but 0 with one in. I got a bit of wire and connected it to the fusebox and to the positive terminal on the battery and the dash illuminated, the car started and it ran ok....for 20 minutes, where it cut out and i had the same problem again! Only this time when i put the wire back onto the positive terminal it sparked and started smoking from underneath the battery! Any ideas what my problem could be? Help would be much appreciated!

1fast6
20-02-2008, 17:46
Ok so this is fuse 6 yeah?

Fortunately I have just had a nightmare with this circuit too so I know exactly where the circuit runs and what could be causing it to pop.

Step 1: Go and buy a load of new fuses. You can load the circuit with anything 15amps and over for the purpose of testing.

Step 2: With a new fuse in it, does it blow when the ignition is on or just when the car is started?

Step 3: Report back here.

Wadsley
20-02-2008, 18:20
The fuses were blowing when the engine was running but i changed the fuse the last time it blew but it wont start now with a new one in and only the battery light it illuminated when the ignition is on, so it just keeps turning over with no spark.

1fast6
20-02-2008, 18:22
are any other fuses blown?

Problem is that the circuit supplies current to the relays for fuel injection locking and iginition...

Wadsley
20-02-2008, 19:48
No other fuses blown. Ive found that where it was smoking from earlier there are some exposed wires where they have been chafing against a bracket underneath the battery, so ive cut a piece of hose and covered them up and now i can start it and run it again using the wire, bipassing the fuse. Would they be anything to do with the fuse blowing do you think? Im not very good with electrics :oops:

1fast6
20-02-2008, 21:05
Yep was about to suggest that exact thing. The loom rubs away on the chassis leg causing the engine fuse to pop.

Put a new 30A in there now and you should be fine. Just make sure you repair it properly and ensure that it won't rub through again.