PDA

View Full Version : Whats usually the reason for struggling to get 1st gear?

Daz.
18-02-2008, 19:44
The box is nice and tight, after having new mounts and a box oil change its really nice, the clutch pedal is new as is the cable so the clutch actions great...

But why do I always have to select another gear before 1st to get into 1st?

If I depress the clutch it will not engage at all I have to goto second then into first - infact if after that I take it out of first with the pedal pressed and then try to get it again I cant!

Its been there for a while but its really got on my tits now I've got it back - its ruining an otherwise really nice driving experience.

MatBrown
18-02-2008, 19:46
Have you reset the ratchet mechanism on the pedal?

Mat.

Daz.
18-02-2008, 19:54
Not personally no - How does one do that lol

Daz.
18-02-2008, 21:32
If the pedal was new it should have self ratcheted shouldn't it?

The more I drive it the more I feel its slightly worse than before the accident

Lunner
19-02-2008, 13:32
Sometimes they don't rachet up correctly, take the cable outa the pedal and replace it and then depress the pedal a few times and it will rachet up again

Purple
19-02-2008, 14:49
Is the clutch take-up very close to the floorboards? If it is, the cable might be a bit slack. I have had spacers added on my cable, but you should try adjusting the pedal ratchet first.

Daz.
19-02-2008, 15:30
It was rubbish before the replaced the pedal on a genuine cable - after they did that it was fine (I think) I still can't help feeling its now harder to get it in than it was before I got hit?

northy
19-02-2008, 16:32
you might need to relocate the gear shifter adjuster underneat, is it just first ? Did the gearbox take any of the impact ?

might be something simple like the engine mounts need readjusting ?

Daz.
19-02-2008, 16:45
I've given it back till its fixed...

I thought it was just me but when selecting first you actually get reverse!

I thought it was just me getting reacquainted! :lol:

1 - Manifolds blowing really badly

2 - constant clunking on idle

3 - bumper needs adjusting

4 - fogs not reconnected.

He's a great guy and it'll be fixed no problem - he's just confessed to me that he very nearly didn't take it on - ten years ago his son was killed in a williams doing obscene speeds so theres a bit of history with him and clio's...

I feel terrible for putting him in that position now and wouldn't have took it there if I had known :? :cry: