PDA

View Full Version : starter motor mounting bracket...another design masterpiece

Wobba
16-02-2008, 16:36
Mine wont come off. As usual I have a knats ass space for getting to it and ite the last thing stopping me taking the head off... how the hell do you get it off????? This is all taking me far too long.

Lunner
16-02-2008, 16:37
The starter motor bracket isn't bolted to the head, you can leave it on mate

Lunner
16-02-2008, 16:38
But if you do wanna remove it you need to remove the fuel line heat shield that botls to the lifting eye, then remove the bracket at the back of the starter motor, 3 bolts iirc bolting onto the head, and maybe a couple of little ones going onto the back of the starter, can't remember

Wobba
16-02-2008, 16:40
thanks, but it is connected to the exhaust manifold and thats still on the head, just.

Wobba
16-02-2008, 16:41
But if you do wanna remove it you need to remove the fuel line heat shield that botls to the lifting eye, then remove the bracket at the back of the starter motor, 3 bolts iirc bolting onto the head, and maybe a couple of little ones going onto the back of the starter, can't remember

great lol...ok off with the exhaust manifold it is then!

Lunner
16-02-2008, 16:45
IIRC you can just unbolt the bracket from the exhaust manifold??

Only done one, and that was a williams that had the std exhaust on, mine has a supersprint so doesn't have that bracket

Wobba
16-02-2008, 16:54
Like pretty much everything, the bolt is just not playing ball with me and is a hard stretch to reach it and thers not enough space for a socket :(

Lunner
16-02-2008, 17:04
What about from underneath?

Wobba
16-02-2008, 17:31
What about from underneath?

Cant reach through all the powersteering etc in the wat. From wheel arch is possible but its a hard stretch, so much so you cant get any power to undoing it. Only way seems from passenger side but the bolt is simply not moving at all :(

Given up for the day. Had a couple of very bad days and I know I will just get cold and pissed off with it and end up setting fire to it :cry:

Wobba
16-02-2008, 17:34
I got the bolts off to the exhaust manifold, but its sealed on tight. Dont think it's ever been taken off and its stuck on solid.

Lunner
16-02-2008, 17:37
Make sure you've got them all off, loads underneath too, if that fails get a bit of wood so you don't dent it and smack it

Wobba
16-02-2008, 18:22
think i took 3 off from underneath, hard to see...

Lunner
16-02-2008, 18:37
3 underneath, 5 on top

http://www.lunner.co.uk/Engine%20Rebuild/slides/engine.JPG

Wobba
16-02-2008, 21:44
lovely, thanks mate!

Coops
16-02-2008, 23:35
if you have them all undone, bash crap outta it and wiggle it off, the studs can corrode and expand so its gets stuck on the head, so may take a bit of doing

Wobba
17-02-2008, 14:44
if you have them all undone, bash crap outta it and wiggle it off, the studs can corrode and expand so its gets stuck on the head, so may take a bit of doing

hehe sounds like fun! I'll get onto it when my head recovers from last nights beers :(

Robb
17-02-2008, 16:45
Not read this properly im too lazy but i left mine on :lol: . It was catching on the heatshield that protects the fuel lines etc. All i did was wiggle it and bend it back and it came free. Although i did have an engine crane

Lunner
17-02-2008, 17:01
Well that shield SHOULD be bolted at top onto the lifting eye and at bottom onto the start bracket

Robb
17-02-2008, 19:24
True, forgot about that, mine isnt fortunatly :lol:

u33db
17-02-2008, 19:35
Theres a support bracket connecting the manifold to the block...if you can undo one of its two bolts it'll save having to take the manifold off.

1 bolt you should be able to get to from underneith and 1 on the underside of the manifold which you could 'feel' for.

Wobba
17-02-2008, 23:05
Unfortunately I had such a bad hangover I slept most of the day! I tell ya, it gets harder to recover when you get older :(

I cant get the starter motor bracket bolt off so I've taken al lthe exhaust manifold bolts off now. Actually, they were surprisingly easy to remove!

I am going to beat shit out of the manifold sometime this week if I can get some time off my slave labour job. Got the headbolts off and thankfully it's not stuck to the block as I can lift it a little before the mount stops play!

Wobba
19-02-2008, 12:41
Right...I have beaten the absolute **** ouf of the exhaust manifold but it WILL NOT come off the head at all, no bolts/nuts/studs are left on it so I can gather it must be stuck on after years of being there.

I also cant get the starter motor bracket bolt off, which is attached to the exhaust manifold, which is stuck the the head. I am stuck.

I have had the car like this for several weeks now and I need to think about seriously giving up due to lack of time and funds and I need to move home soon.

:(

Wobba
19-02-2008, 12:47
Theres a support bracket connecting the manifold to the block...if you can undo one of its two bolts it'll save having to take the manifold off.

1 bolt you should be able to get to from underneith and 1 on the underside of the manifold which you could 'feel' for.

I am going to have a try for the one under the car then...wish me luck, I've about run out of options if this fails.

AndyFielder
19-02-2008, 13:02
just pull the engine mount on with the exhaust still on... its what i did with my supersprint when i couldnt get it to split in the middle.

OR just hammer a screw driver at the join between the manifold and head... aluminium is soft so you should be able to get it in there and flick it off.

OR heat the engine up and try smacking the amnifold with a lump hammer.

ADD lots of AC90 etc see if that helps?

IF you do give up... give us some details on the car first, i mite take it off your hands!

Andy

Wobba
19-02-2008, 13:37
Well, I got the lower mount bolt off...wasnt too hard, AND THE HEAD IS OFF! HURRAH!

Fuk me it's heavy!