PDA

View Full Version : Few questions

Coops
15-02-2008, 19:17
starter motors possible to get the one i have overhauled anywhere, dont want to exchange it really as its a high output unit and would rather get it fixed? if not what other starters fit the f7p engine?

i also now have a clunk under low speed braking, any likely suspects? could it be the differential in the box? or more likely suspension related, can top mounts cause this?

similarly i have a strange short wine noise on down change if the box goes under load from the engine, i.e. drop gear to engine brake, but only sometimes, release bearing? or box again?

and finally it runs on 3 when it first starts, only for a few seconds and only when totally cold, i have changed plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm. could it be coil? rotor itself?

cheers

Coops

u33db
15-02-2008, 20:44
starter motors possible to get the one i have overhauled anywhere, dont want to exchange it really as its a high output unit and would rather get it fixed? if not what other starters fit the f7p engine?

i also now have a clunk under low speed braking, any likely suspects? could it be the differential in the box? or more likely suspension related, can top mounts cause this?

similarly i have a strange short wine noise on down change if the box goes under load from the engine, i.e. drop gear to engine brake, but only sometimes, release bearing? or box again?

and finally it runs on 3 when it first starts, only for a few seconds and only when totally cold, i have changed plugs, leads, dizzy cap and rotor arm. could it be coil? rotor itself?

cheers

Coops

BB used to do a high output starter which i bought once.

IIRC GUNNER found out it was from a fairly common saloon...can't remember which but you might be able to find it with the search.

ClioDan87
15-02-2008, 20:57
Coops the 172 Starters fit along with williams ones! :)

Coops
15-02-2008, 21:54
spoke to gunner, v6 laguna starter shud fit, 108 inc surcharge from gsf, may try that!

number1
15-02-2008, 23:28
Why would you need an uprated starter? the standard ones more than up to the job! if your looking for one that fits cheaply, im sure one of an rsi or f3 powered variant would fit

Dave

Rich
16-02-2008, 00:19
Why would you need an uprated starter? the standard ones more than up to the job! if your looking for one that fits cheaply, im sure one of an rsi or f3 powered variant would fit

Dave

not your standard car mate,turbo'd and its about 190bhp atw!

ClioDan87
16-02-2008, 00:30

Dave

not your standard car mate,turbo'd and its about 190bhp atw!

Dont give him credit! :P 185 BHP at the wheels :P

Rich
16-02-2008, 00:49
ok then its 'about' 180 atw :wink: :lol:

jay s
16-02-2008, 01:16
if the clonk is there when u pull off slowly aswell id check balljoints....

ClioDan87
16-02-2008, 01:29
ok then its 'about' 180 atw :wink: :lol:

lol rounded down! :P

He still wasnt happy with the results ... and made hell of a fuss about getting on and off the rollers! Trust it to be Coops! :P

Coops
16-02-2008, 12:36
:P wanted more power :twisted:

technically i need a lower power starter, its low compression so really its easier than standard to turn over in my mind :?

but if a higher output one fits then i'll have that :D

matty w
16-02-2008, 17:23
was just thinking the same surly you would need a higher output one for hi comp not low

Lunner
16-02-2008, 17:38
I've got a laguna v6 one on mine

Coops
16-02-2008, 21:19
sweet cheers lunner, i may well invest then