PDA

View Full Version : Willy alloys..

ian711
15-02-2008, 14:12
i'm having my alloy refurbed after someone hit it in a carpark and kerbed and chipped it. (being done on his insurance)

I was just wondering how they actually do it?

as i was under the impression they sandblast it, put all the base coats down, spray it gold, then diamond cut the rim which takes the paint off and leaves it the silver-ish colur as thats the colour of the alloy.
The bloke i spoke to was telling me about how it was 2-tone (the gold and the silver) :?

MattyH16valver
15-02-2008, 15:41
You have the general process right....shot balsted, power primed or primed, base coat, diamond cut lip on a lathe then lacquered. Not sure about the whole two tone thing...suppose the paint does look asthough it had a silver flip to it....thpugh im not sre thats its added during paint mixing. The proper code for the paint is Akzo Nobel Code R9312. Hope that helps. Matt

MattyH16valver
15-02-2008, 20:11
This gives u an idea of what the paint looks like on an original speedline....note how thin the paint is, they only seem to lightly spray the base coat...I think its electrostatically painted, then lacquered. As a result, the paint chips very easily, hense why most places give the re-furbed wheels a power prime for durability. 8)
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c226/MattyH16v/DSCF0830.jpg