PDA

View Full Version : The Jinx vs Xsara VTS

Swervin_Mervin
12-06-2005, 14:26
Welcome to the madhouse Xsara! As we hit our "private test track" she decided she was bored of me leading the way so put the hammer down. She went past at about 90, so I nailed it.

I went past quite easily but at about 115 she started to pull back on me. At 130 though we were side by side. At that point the xsara was still pulling but even though I had 2k to go The Jinx wasn't shifting at all. So I lifted, conceding that the xsara's gearing works to it's advantage once you get over a tonne. That and the extra grunt it must have, and the more slippery shape. Apparently it was still pulling very well at that point.

The tollgate sprint was a bit shit 'cos the signs had said it was £2 so I threw £2 in and then I had to scrabble about and dig out another quid. She got quite a start on me but she wasn't gaining over 60 'tilabout 90 and then she pissed off in to the distance.

All in all, the Xsara's a very close match to the valver until you get to near a tonne and then it pisses all over it.

It's nice to have a car now though that we can use at the w/e that has some grunt, without having to rack the miles up on The Jinx anymore.

Zollo
12-06-2005, 14:53
Should have bought a 'gay' 306, then it would've been off in the distance even sooner than 90. :wink: :P

Andyvalver
12-06-2005, 15:01
:shock: I take it there not a 1.6 like the paxo

Valver is quicker on paper

http://www.letstorquebhp.com/fwd.asp

Zollo
12-06-2005, 15:04
Xsara has got a 167bhp 2.0 litre 16v engine. :twisted:

Andyvalver
12-06-2005, 15:09
Best strip you car out then ready for round 2 :)

Jamie.
12-06-2005, 19:55
i really like those xsara's my mate has got 1 in a kind of monkey piss yellow colour. goes really well though, although my mate wasnt hammering it properly as he is 25 so was just taking it to bout 5k. but he says it doesnt really pick up until u hit 70ish.

Swervin_Mervin
12-06-2005, 21:38
The gearing works against the valver at higher speeds to be fair.

It's going to be great for doing any euro trips in. I was in agony when we got home after nigh on 500miles whereas steph was as fresh as a daisy by comparison. They are a much more relaxed motor, and for those longer journeys and night driving the Xsara I had was effing supreme. I once had a marathon 8hr drive to my mums in cornwall, most of it in darkness from the end of the M5, but apart from being tired when I got there my body was fine.

KingStromba
12-06-2005, 21:43
My friend has one of these. I may have a blast with him.

Why is it called the Jinx?

Swervin_Mervin
12-06-2005, 21:50
Because it's spent most of it's time with me being crashed/crashed in to. Spent most of last year in and out having work done, and steph is asking me to point out that that's thanks to her.

She is now losing oil faster than ever and so could really do with getting a new sump on, along with a new subframe, throttle cable. I might lso have to look in to getting the slight fuel leak checked again.

Basically though it's 'cos I was never in it for any of last years NW meets after the first peaks run, where it did a 180 under pressure from the one in front!