PDA

View Full Version : General tidy up of engine bay.

Wobba
07-02-2008, 22:02
Hi guys!

Got tomorrow off work and so I am spending it playing in my engine bay oil pit, with all my oily toys!

Gonna take a few more bolts off and see if I can take the head off tomorrow, then get the head picked up for checking/skimming.

Now, while that's being done I am thinking of giving the engine bay some funky loving. No, not that sort of loving, but I will need plenty of elbow grease to get the muck and grime shifted. I wont be doing a major overhaul like some of you nutbags out there, I simply dont have the time, but a bit of TLC is required.

I have planned:

Remove wiring loom and check it all / retape it.

Give soiled areas a going over with GUNK(tm).

Spray the 'eyelids' matt black (they look very shite at mo).

Somehow have a go at the crap on the block.

Clean the bottom of the bay of oil and leaked coolant stains (any good method for this?)

Gearbox drip try (its very manky).

Any tips guys? Anything I need to be careful of if the top of the engine block is exposed?

Lunner
08-02-2008, 09:35
i'd wait till you've got the head back on before yuou go messing around with gunk and water in there, and when you take the loom off lable it up as you remove it ie "yellow plug by n/s d/shaft", will make ti mice and easy to connect it all back up again then.

Watch out for water in electrical connectors too

Wobba
08-02-2008, 12:09
OK! I am going to go get some tape for the loom today and do it this evening I think.

I heard that if you get good tape, and pull the loom itself straight as you wind on the tape it makes for a better finish, so I'll try that.

Lunner
08-02-2008, 15:59
I just used electrical tape and loomed up the parts that had come apart