PDA

View Full Version : Tempted to stray...

white16valver
06-02-2008, 20:36
Just found out I may be able to get my hands on a mint, near-standard Saxo VTS for very little money indeed.

I'm considering it :oops: :(

The money I'd spend on it would probably equal near what I could spend on mine to make it mint (de-rust, alloys, sunroof, steering...) but it'd be 6 years newer and probably a lot less hassle and just as fun.

It's tempting but I know I'd then probably lose interest in the valver, and it's neglected enough already :(

I think insurance will probably kill it anyway tbh - can't get a decent quote anywhere online, despite being old, almost being back to zero points and having full NCB :? :roll:

titcharoony
06-02-2008, 20:39
just as fun? pish! and wheres the kudos? u say williams, i say 'cool'. u say saxo - I say 'ha'.

white16valver
06-02-2008, 20:41
lol

You do have a point :)

And I don't want to look like a chav... :lol:

titcharoony
06-02-2008, 20:54
16v is the car for those in the know. the ultimate underrated hero - looks great too.

williams has the real rareity (but then so has the 16v really) and has the prescence.

If I see a saxo i dont really care, they really are boring as anything. the inside is dull as. Think of ur clio, gauges, nice seats - big ol' bonnet bulge, nice bodykit, and badass wheels (hope u kept the turb ines, they are my fave)

Danno
06-02-2008, 23:00
16v is the car for those in the know. the ultimate underrated hero - looks great too.

williams has the real rareity (but then so has the 16v really) and has the prescence.

If I see a saxo i dont really care, they really are boring as anything. the inside is dull as. Think of ur clio, gauges, nice seats - big ol' bonnet bulge, nice bodykit, and badass wheels (hope u kept the turb ines, they are my fave)

he's right :lol:

richy
06-02-2008, 23:08

too true! :)

Ollyb16v
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said

Ollyb16v
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yep What he said

BRUN
06-02-2008, 23:47
have you driven a Saxo ?.....the pedals are very close together

Daz.
07-02-2008, 08:06
have you driven a Saxo ?.....the pedals are very close together

What he said! I test drove a vts and took it back immediately - I'm only a size 9 but theres no chance I could put up with the amount of room in there...

Saxo drivers must have tiny feet to match their tiny comprehensions of life!

white16valver
07-02-2008, 09:24
So no-one's that keen on the saxo then? lol :lol:

I hear what you're saying - and in white the valver's a good sleeper too IMO, as I think everyone in their repmobiles and mercs etc just think it's a slow 1.2 or something, meaning it's amusing to just disappear round roundabouts :twisted:

I don't want to get rid of it, I just want the bloody thing to be fixed lol

Saxo would be the second 'sensible' car if I got it!

Think insurance is going to rule it out anyway though - not far off the valver, despite being standard, and I can't afford that as well as buying it...

1fast6
07-02-2008, 10:32
Yep the pedal arrangement is the reason i will probably never own a 106 gti or saxo vts. People say you get used to it but i don't think i ever would.

1995clio16v
07-02-2008, 10:40

too true! :)

Count me in...he's right

Whenever I see a saxo i dont care at all. They're definately the nova of the late 90's early 00's

Saxo west coast
Saxo furio
Saxo VTr
Saxo VTs

Theyre all the same to me :wink: :wink: :lol:

16v_paddy
07-02-2008, 11:26
Yep the pedal arrangement is the reason i will probably never own a 106 gti or saxo vts. People say you get used to it but i don't think i ever would.

Same here, I love my m8s 106 gti but the pedal arrangement is just terrible IMO.

If I ever see 1 I always check its a VTS 1st, (cos they're good cars) if not the name calling and abuse starts :) lol

seanofnp
07-02-2008, 11:28
I like 106 gtis and would have one over a valver, but i have a hybrid and that a different story lol :)

J o n
07-02-2008, 12:00
nowt wrong with a VTS imo... doesn't look as nice, it's about as fast, but it's miles newer and probably easier to live with.

Martin
07-02-2008, 12:04
agree with jebus, mine was fine....picked up for 1100 and no rusty arches to content with. However it had nothing to give after 2 nd gear.....felt slow. Although I've never had a valver so i guess they are the same..

white16valver
07-02-2008, 12:11
agree with jebus, mine was fine....picked up for 1100 and no rusty arches to content with. However it had nothing to give after 2 nd gear.....felt slow. Although I've never had a valver so i guess they are the same..
Hater :cry:

LoL :lol:

They are properly gutless under about 4.5k, but then I like revs and was always clattering into the limiter on my Brother's Willy when he had it :lol:

u33db
07-02-2008, 12:29
I've also been looking at vts's i'm sorry to say!

Sure I've got my RT and 16v engine in my garage but after 9 renos i'm swaying. For me i'd just like something reasonably quick yet has the nice looks...i've got a BIG thing for GTT's and the saxo seems to be the modern equivalent IMO.

The pedal spacing is an issue...i've breifly driven a GTI and didn't like it but that was years ago. Maybe i'll got for a test drive this weekend and give them another go...

Top Cat
07-02-2008, 15:15
I drive my clio and my Boyfs vtr, they both have there ups and downs

pedals are closer together and slightly more to the left then the clio but you do get used to it.. promise

Saxo being newer is alot easier to drive and hassle free, clio is more involved and more fun

TC

Flan
07-02-2008, 20:01
Had a 106 Gti for a bit. handle very well and quite nippy but not as nice to drice as the Clio. it feels almost too small :roll:

And the vts is a chav's car so Nooooooooooooooooooooooooo don't get one

Clio Williams and 16V WILL be future classics for a long time

Vts's willl become coke cans ;)

ae
07-02-2008, 21:36
I had a 106 GTI, top car never went wrong. Would easily have another. Saxos are abit more chav.

Andrew

simonr85
11-02-2008, 15:30
PLEASE dont get a saxo there wank! Ive got a VTR rotting in my garage! Bits drop off them all day long, they rattle like hell, the handling is nothing compared to the Willy and my saxo had suspenison mods, the seats are shite and look gay, the interior is gay, wheel bearings go for fun, pedals are close and im a size 7, and u dont get any looks like the willy gets, all my interior rattled off, i cant think of any good bits about it, i bought it for £4500 and cant even sell it for £1500

titcharoony
11-02-2008, 15:45
tiff love the williams: nuff said.

white16valver
11-02-2008, 17:16
PLEASE dont get a saxo there w**k! Ive got a VTR rotting in my garage! Bits drop off them all day long, they rattle like hell, the handling is nothing compared to the Willy and my saxo had suspenison mods, the seats are shite and look gay, the interior is gay, wheel bearings go for fun, pedals are close and im a size 7, and u dont get any looks like the willy gets, all my interior rattled off, i cant think of any good bits about it, i bought it for £4500 and cant even sell it for £1500
You like it then?

LOL :lol:

mozzarooni
11-02-2008, 17:19
PLEASE dont get a saxo there w**k! Ive got a VTR rotting in my garage! Bits drop off them all day long, they rattle like hell, the handling is nothing compared to the Willy and my saxo had suspenison mods, the seats are shite and look gay, the interior is gay, wheel bearings go for fun, pedals are close and im a size 7, and u dont get any looks like the willy gets, all my interior rattled off, i cant think of any good bits about it, i bought it for £4500 and cant even sell it for £1500

If that doesnt make anyones mind up, They want shooting :lol: :lol:

simonr85
12-02-2008, 12:53

lol, anyone wanna buy a saxo?

J o n
12-02-2008, 13:27

lol, anyone wanna buy a saxo?

similar story to my Williams which was a nightmare to own and unreliable as hell... but for every horror story there's an opposite. Some people dont have any issues with them...

u33db
12-02-2008, 13:44
Agreed.

You've just got to look at how many are on the roads - if they were as appalling as some people say there wouldn't be millions on the road.

Lunner
12-02-2008, 13:48
The thing you need to remember is that they are a 10-15 year old car, some parts are that old and covered thousands of miles, i ran my car for a year last year with the old problem being a wheel bearings having gone, and then i blew the gearbox up,m but that was because i pretty much rebuilt the car, with no expense spared.

This is one of the main reasons i stopped using mine as an everyday car, bacause of the lack of reliability, and the fact that i was beginning to get bored of buckets and stripped interior for every day use

titcharoony
12-02-2008, 15:33
long live the vectra

Lunner
12-02-2008, 15:36
long live the vectra

Damn right :D

Tommo
15-02-2008, 16:39
My brother owns a Saxo VTR and it drives like a turd compared to the Williams, there's no comparison imo. I'd imagine the VTS to be similar only a bit quicker. Think the chav label is a little unfair, in standard guise they look quite nice, it's just the max power brigade have given them a bad rep! I think for a cheap hot hatch they are ok, just nothing special, insurance would be cheap enough for a VTR too...

Daz.
15-02-2008, 17:47
Standard ones are nice - its quite refreshing to see a standard one actually - I've always preferred the look slightly of the saxo over the pug - I think it has the better dash of the two too...

Tommo
15-02-2008, 18:19
Yes I agree, in black, standard but with a slight drop they look very nice, especially with the original concave alloys, not the horrible spoked ones they put on the later models....

FATBOY
15-02-2008, 21:49
SAXO = PAXO :shock: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

white16valver
18-02-2008, 14:29
That's a 'no' then? lol

Found out earlier the muppet part-ex'd it for £400! Dammit :(

smokey 219
20-02-2008, 01:03
I'd just like to say to ya that before owning my willy I had 2 vts saxos and they were great fun but I only owned either for a week as I knew they weren't goin to last with me in em!! both cars current owners I know and strangely they still talk to me but I never lied to them bout the possibility of the cars fallin apart so when they did fall apart and break etc they weren't surprised!!

so my opinion is if ya could get one for small dollars don't keep it long but get your fun out of it as it'll probably break!! oh and don't get less than a vts as the others are really too slow!!