PDA

View Full Version : Help! Can't remove brake disc

Scougar
06-02-2008, 12:28
Hi guys,

Advice needed asap, as job on right now (Taken day off to do it)

Right in the middle of trying to get my front valver brake discs of so I can replace them (Girling brakes). The haynes manual makes no mention of removing the huge hub nut in, but do I have to remove it?

I have so far removed caliper and the 2 small torx bolts, but I can't seem to tap free the brake disc. Am i doing it right?

Matthew

schakal
06-02-2008, 13:08
it should come out after the torx screws are out mate
no need to take the hubnut out .
tap it like a man :D 8)

donsrno1
06-02-2008, 13:30
tap it like a man :D 8)

What he says :lol:

Scougar
06-02-2008, 13:35
lol, I actually ended up laying on my side with a massive hammer, wacking the hell out of it, then rotating... wacking 3 times, rotating etc..

They liars at the MOT station failed me for under 1.5 mm on the brake pad, when in fact they are ALL about 10mm! Shocking.

Is it ok to reuse those pads with (which are NOT flat, they are have a lip, and a a grove, but a LOT of pad left), on these brand new discs? Or should I just buy new pads for the new discs?

Matthew

donsrno1
06-02-2008, 13:39
Personally I would always use new pads on new discs as thats what I've always been told and it kind of makes sense, but some people may have a different opinion.

Scougar
06-02-2008, 13:40
Kinda what I was thinking anyway, as I don't want to grove new discs, but just feel a little bit peed off they lied *sigh*.

Matthew

number1
06-02-2008, 17:55
They fail them as a pair usually, old pads will not bed well to new disc's

Scougar
06-02-2008, 19:38
Finally finished. The pads I bought were not the right type, but luckily I bought two sets of fronts for my wifes car and didn't return the second set about a month ago. Happened to check it, and they were the right type lol.

but.. schoolboy error... forgot to put the pads in the front before bleeding the rears... que two popped front pistons DOH! Got them back in easily enough but fluid everywhere :( (Had to use carburettor cleaner to get the brake fluid of hopefully that will be solvent enough to get rid of the fluid?

Have bled system, but car doesn't seem to stop that fast to be honest after a 5 min test drive. Will get some brake cleaner and reclean, and hope that sorts it, otherwise it looks like it is probably the bedding in period? Not had an issue like this before on my 200sx when I refurbed my 4 pots and put on some brembo discs.

Matthew

Scougar
07-02-2008, 15:11
Ooo.. just seen on another forum that someone suggested carb cleaner, but then someone else immediately said it leaves a glaze/residue on the disc. opps.

Will be getting brake cleaner tonight and redo all discs before the mot work at the garage tomorrow :)

Matthew

Wobba
07-02-2008, 21:49
lol, I actually ended up laying on my side with a massive hammer, wacking the hell out of it...

^ ****in story of my life at moment mate. There isn't a part of my body thats not aching like a bitch and wanting some serious payback on them twats that designed these bloody cars! Damn French.

number1
07-02-2008, 22:20
lol, I actually ended up laying on my side with a massive hammer, wacking the hell out of it...

^ F***IN story of my life at moment mate. There isn't a part of my body thats not aching like a bitch and wanting some serious payback on them twats that designed these bloody cars! Damn French.

Im sure they have a different workshop over there for the english market! i can see them over there giggling to one another..
"we hate ze english if we put ze bolt in zis way they will have to remove all zis! hahahaha"

Scougar
07-02-2008, 22:54
Jap stuff is so much more thought out (straight forward) than the clio setup. I know they were tight for space, but what the hell is all this slide pin to hold the brake pads in crap. They are a nightmare to get out and even worse to put back in. I had to taper the end in order to get everything back in place (including the spring clip, as without it it fits so easy).

Matthew

Lunner
08-02-2008, 09:33
Minor problems, end of the day if you look after your car well you won't have any problems with things being seized, i know for a fact that pretty much every bolt and part on my car will come apart when i want it to, because its already been apart, cleaned and greased before being put back together.

As for the design,. they are fine as long as you know the little tricks to get to everything and got the right tools

white16valver
08-02-2008, 09:56
"we hate ze english if we put ze bolt in zis way they will have to remove all zis! hahahaha"
LOL

This is so true :lol:

Scougar
08-02-2008, 10:55
You make the French sound German! ;)

True I like to know all about the cars I own, And once you work out the little tricks I'll be fine. Just seems such an odd design for brakes (I knew what to do as I already sorted Melissa's front on the 1.4 auto, which bizarrely are the same as the rears on my valver).

Anyway.. new pads, and new front discs... and the rest is being sorted at the garage as we speak. Once its MOT'd I'll move on to finding out where my water is going, and since I don't appear to be burning any oil, where is it going? lol.

Matthew

Scougar
08-02-2008, 11:33
Oh heck. Bad news from the garage...

Rear calipers are screwed apparently, so they are gonna cost about £90 EACH and those are exchange units :( .. plus £70 labour. Plus the handbrake cable, and we are talking £300 roughly in total to fix the problem :(

Any ideas?

Matthew

Scougar
08-02-2008, 11:42
Just checked balance.. poo sticks. Definately not gonna happen.. gotta talk to wife about it.

Matthew

Scougar
08-02-2008, 11:59
The story continues...

Can't afford the rear calipers this week, so just having the handbrake/ lights/ exhaust mount done now, and booked it in for the rears next Friday.

Hmm.. So that gives me a week. I live about 20 miles from the garage I use (its next to work), so should I take a peek at the rears and see if I can sort them out (without a rebuild kit)??

Matthew

Lunner
08-02-2008, 15:08
HOW are they screwed???

Common for the sliders to seize up, this can sometimes be sorted without replacing the calipers

How well do you trust the garage and how much of a bunch of monkeys are they

white16valver
08-02-2008, 18:10
HOW are they screwed???

Common for the sliders to seize up, this can sometimes be sorted without replacing the calipers

how how?

I think mine are seizing as they bind when I'm reversing and make a terrible groaning noise :? :roll: :(

katbloke
08-02-2008, 19:05
HOW are they screwed???

how how?

I think mine are seizing as they bind when I'm reversing and make a terrible groaning noise :? :roll: :(

Remove pads sliders and pins clean them all up with lithium or whatver grease it is , not coppa grease though, reassemble should be job done

white16valver
08-02-2008, 19:15
cool, thanks :)

Might have a go if I'm feeling brave one day lol

Scougar
08-02-2008, 23:15
Nope they are not seized (at least one isn't) as I was able to screw them back in. Apparently its the handbrake mechanism that is screwed, as when they were fitted/refitted it looks like someone pulls the handbrake up first rather than pumping the brakes, which most likely caused the ratchet on the mech to work incorrectly fecking it up. As mentinoned you need to pump the brake first to get the ratchet lined up for the adjusters or something like that.. THEN adjust the handbrake cable.

Whatever the reason, with talk of springs inside the units I'd rather just buy some now outright, and pull the old ones apart. If I can fix them, great i'll flog them on, if not at least I will know how to sort this type for the next time :)

Matthew