PDA

View Full Version : Low idle when cold

Adi82
05-02-2008, 10:09
Reccently i have been having a poblem with my williams stalling when cold. It seems to start and idle on the chock fine just over 1200rpm. But when i start driving and then dip the clutch the revs drop to 800 or lower. If i add to this braking or turning the engine stalls.

Once the car has warmed up, (come of the chock) it runs fine, dip the clutch and it idles around 900-1000rpm.

My thinking is either its a bad earth, sensor (not sure which one) or alternator problem.

Anyone else have any ideas or similar problems that they solved?

Rich
05-02-2008, 18:38
clean out the icsv

Adi82
06-02-2008, 08:57
Ok will give that ago this weekend and see what happens, thanks.

drsmith1979
06-02-2008, 19:09
coolant temp sensor for me, its the white plug just under the dizzy in the thermo housing, had similar when i first bought the car but it was just a loose plug, take it out, clean it and put it back in.

A good way of checking to see if its working, start the car as normal and see how it goes from cold, then disconnect the CTS and do the same, if there is no difference in how it runs then the odds are the sensor wants changing.

give it a go

Adi82
08-02-2008, 11:50
Dont think it will be the CTS sensor as when it first starts its fine. idles slightly higher than normal as expected and slowly drops down as it warms up. Its only when im moving and then dip the clutch coming up to a junction that the revs drop low and the engine stalls.

I played around with the ISCV yesterday and its been good so far but i imagine it will come back.

Will give the CTS ago though as it doesnt cost much to change.

Daz.
08-02-2008, 14:41
Dont think it will be the CTS sensor as when it first starts its fine. idles slightly higher than normal as expected and slowly drops down as it warms up. Its only when im moving and then dip the clutch coming up to a junction that the revs drop low and the engine stalls.

I played around with the ISCV yesterday and its been good so far but i imagine it will come back.

Will give the CTS ago though as it doesnt cost much to change.

This is what mines been doing (mine will dip very low though not stall) still not had a chance to look into it! :roll: