PDA

View Full Version : Alternator mounting bolt sheared off...

Wobba
04-02-2008, 16:04
Hi, the bolt that secures the alternator to the bracket on the inlet manifold sheared off when I touched it yesterday. Is this going to cause problems when I refit all the stuff like the belt?

white16valver
04-02-2008, 16:09
I would have thought so - it stops the alternator moving towards the block, doesn't it? I can't picture it right at this moment...

I am missing a bolt out of that bracket though (the triangular black one that has the vacuum pipe thing going into/through the middle of it) so who knows lol

Bayliss
04-02-2008, 17:26
no it shouldn't mate it will require a new bolt though, it doesn't really matter which bolt it is as they're both replaceable

i think its a 13mm head on it i think, just make sure u remove the old bit out of the bracket and your laughing!!! if you can't get it out of the bracket then you'll probs need a new one of them, and if u need one i may have a spare lying around somewhere

Bailey_1260
04-02-2008, 17:50
which bit mate. take a picture cos i cant quite picture it. mayhaveone i can chuck in a jiffy bag for ya.

Wobba
04-02-2008, 18:28
Ok.

We can see it here on U33DB's picture of his replacement 16v engine:

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p206/u33db/clio_rt/Image024.jpg

It's the rusty bolt above the fins of the alternator. Behind the black triangle bit is another alloy bracket that I think fits on the engine. The broken bit is still in the alloy bracket and looks like it won't budge :?

If you have spares thats great!. I think there is another bolt which holds it in place but as bayliss said it should be okay for a while :)

Thanks guys, off home now!

Bayliss
04-02-2008, 18:53
i think i have one lying about mate, i'll have a look tomorrow for ya in me valver spares shed, but u can remove the bracket and its pretty easy to remove, if u take the bracket off and try and remove it first and if u can't i'll search through me pile to find one for ya!!

Bailey_1260
04-02-2008, 19:02
i'll also have a look tomorrow for ya buddy

Wobba
04-02-2008, 20:20
You're a couple of stars, cheers lads.