PDA

View Full Version : LoL more questions: Manifold downpipe bolts.

Wobba
03-02-2008, 16:43
Ok, I have most thing off and almost ready to remove the head of the engine to finally see the cause of my troubles, the blown head gasket.

I have thus far managed to avoid removing the manifold downpipe bolts, of which there appear to be two, with big springs on. I took the heat shield off to give me more room, and can just about get a 13mm ratchet spanner onto the passenger side bolt, but it's a bloody stretch and barely any room to get leverage. I may be able to get this one out...

The drivers side one looks very hard to remove without removing the brake fluid resevoir. I really have about had enough of the variety of things I have taken off to get to bolts like this, so I want to avoid further work and not mess about with the brakes.

Do I have to get the bolts out from underneath the car? I can see them from under there, lying in the pools of oil and coolant I have made so far, but I don't think it is possible to jam my hands in AND get the leverage I need to get the old bolts out. What can I do?

kenny
03-02-2008, 17:00
First get yourself a creeper to lay on from Lidls £12, got myself one a couple of days ago, first time I've ever had something to lay on. Then disconect downpipe from exhaust, this will give you two advantages, one you can use the manifold as lever to separate the head from the block, once the headbolts are out the two don't always just separate. Two, the most obvious is, it's easier to get to the bolts when the head is on a bench, use plenty of penetrating oil and wind the bolts in and out as you go. I haven't looked so don't know if it's head bolts or nuts on studs. Nuts are easier, you can use oil then a small wire brush on the studs.

kenny
03-02-2008, 17:02
Error I meant manifold from downpipe not downpipe from exhaust

Lunner
03-02-2008, 17:09
IIRC you can access it from underneath with a long extension bar and possibly the use of a UJ

Justin..
03-02-2008, 17:12
i can just about reach around the driver side nut with a stumpy rachet from the passenger side. its a tight squeeze but my arm just fits round underneath the pipe. i have to lay accross the engine to do so tho! another way is from under neath with extension barsto help get some leverage

where abouts in southampton are u based wobba?

Wobba
03-02-2008, 18:26
I am in Bannister Park, just off the Avenue and Bedford Place.

I will try and get under the car the next time I have some time off work. Need to relax now and just leave it, I know getting overtired makes me get in a bad mood! I've had several bolts either round off, and the alternator bolt that goes on the inlet manifold decided to just shear off as well, just for good measure.

I did actually manage to get the manifold bolts off but I cant seperate them...they are stuck together, not the downpipe ones. It seems someone has had this off before and so I have a mixture of bolts and studs :) Only one was a pain to get off and I cut my hand quite bad doing that one :(

Thanks for advice guys, I'll struggle onward!

Matty86
03-02-2008, 21:09
theres another bracket that holds the manifold on...

it connects near where the downpipe joins

BristolSam16v
03-02-2008, 22:05
I used a ratchet spanner from a halfords set and got my hand down near the fluid resovoir was a tight squeeze though...

Coops
03-02-2008, 23:11
always done it from underneath the car, normal ratchet set extender bar and 13mm long socket, no problems

summeh
04-02-2008, 04:02
take drivers side wheel and arch liners off and plenty of room to access it. tis the drivers side one u on about?

Wobba
04-02-2008, 10:42
Yea drivers side.

I got the studs off the manifold to head already. Not sure if I can get the two seperate. I hear there are a couple more bolts somewhere near the downpipe. Can't look until Thursday/Friday...