PDA

View Full Version : Fitting new brakes

Jesse16v
02-02-2008, 13:25
Hey will be fitting my new pads and discs today and it looks like i need a star/torx peice to get the disc off, could anyone tell me what size this is? and would it be possible to put it in a portable drill to un do it?

Justin..
02-02-2008, 13:29
i bought a draper expert set of torx bits for around 15 quid, been a life saver, goes from t20 to t45 in increment of 5 i know one of those fits!

Jesse16v
02-02-2008, 13:33
It looks like its going to be hard doing it by hand so would it be ok to put the bit in a drill?

Justin..
02-02-2008, 13:34
nah they come in a bit that 3/8 drive so you can use a wrench

it's most likley you will just round the head with a drill

Jesse16v
02-02-2008, 14:14
Justins been a diamond! thanks mate.

Mr postman came today and i was greeted with goodridge brakelines :D now can anyone assist me with fitting these? how do i stop the lines from leaking out fluid when replacing?

Lunner
02-02-2008, 14:22
Only thing you can do is put cling film over the top of the fluid res and then put the cap back on but this won't completely stop it, if you are quick you won't loose too much......you'll be flushing the fluid through when you bleed them anyways.

Although i must stress, if you don't know that you are doing, or are just learning, brakes really aren't the thing to be ****ing about with

Jesse16v
02-02-2008, 14:22
also can anyone please Confirm the torx size?

Jesse16v
02-02-2008, 14:27
Ive fitted brakes before on my old clios but i need a mind refresher more than anything, ive never fitted lines but they look pretty simple.

Should i wait till my DOT4 brake fluid comes before i bleed?

Lunner
02-02-2008, 14:36
Its a T40 iirc, that question proves more than anything you really shouldn't be ****ing about doing the lines.....buy a Haynes and follow the instructions in there.

When you bleed brakes you push new fluid through which pushes out the old fluid and any air in the system, you need to bleed them in a specific order, order depends if you have ABS or not, and bleed them through till you get clean fluid coming out with no air bubbles.....you need to be very gentle with eh bleed nipples, very easy to round them off or snap them off

Jesse16v
02-02-2008, 14:52
Its been about a year since i last changed some brakes and i had some help when bleeding them last time from my step-dad but i gotta do it on my own now. I got to buy a torx bit thats why i needed the size, ive lost alot of old parts, but thanks for the size :)

Should i get a garage to fit the goodridge lines? unless someone on here is from kent and can help

Jesse16v
02-02-2008, 14:53
Oh and mines a 1995 valver , think it has abs.

BristolSam16v
02-02-2008, 16:52
You need a brake spanner to change the lines if you use a normal one you'll round them off.

Fronts are fairly straight forward unless they are seized, chances are they will be. Then its a bugger.

Rears are much more annoying due to them being under the car in the middle so unless you have a ramp/lift there really isn't much space.

Jesse16v
02-02-2008, 19:07
so do you think i should ask a garage/mechanic for a price to do this? how long do you think it would take them?

Lunner
02-02-2008, 20:36
All going well couple of hours tops, worst case all day, depends how well everything co-operates, had to cut the unions off the fronts on my last car and re-make the solid lines