PDA

View Full Version : Strange Engine Problem

darrenm1eqn
30-01-2008, 18:34
Hi Guys well i have a prob with the Renault 19 Cabby..

Right when you start the engine from cold all is well the engine ticks over fine no problem at all .

Now the problem happens when the car is fully warmed up .

Now when fully warmed up the car will suddenly cut out .

When you try to restart it , it will run for about 3 seconds then cut out again . Also sounds like the engine is missing aswell . especialy when you try to rev it , it like splutters and cuts out .

But if you leave it to cool fully then start it , it starts fine doesnt miss and is smooth and drives great etc until it fully warms up again then it will cut out and wont run etc

Any ideas chaps ...

Need your advice guys

Cheers Darren

MatBrown
30-01-2008, 19:27
Coolant Temp Sensor?

Mat.

darrenm1eqn
30-01-2008, 20:11
Cheers Mat,

Would that make such a drastic change to the running of the engine ?

Also is there any way to check the sensor with a multimeter

Cheers Darren

MicKPM
31-01-2008, 16:28
It makes such a difference as the ECU ignores the sensor values at cold start and uses a "known" set of values in the lookup tables. When its warm the sensor values are taken in to account but if it's throwing false readings it causes the problems you're seeing.

To test the ECT with a multi meter:

20oC - 3061-4045 Ohms
40oC - 1315-1600 Ohms
80oC - 301-367 Ohms
90oC - 212-273 Ohms

What you need to be sure of is that the readings fall steadily as the car warms up and that the figures don't jump about.

Mick

Andyvalver
31-01-2008, 17:44
ooooher whats mick doin on here :D

MicKPM
31-01-2008, 19:57
Someone mentioned a 19 Andy ;)

How's that Megane of yours holding up?

Andyvalver
01-02-2008, 01:14
Someone mentioned a 19 Andy ;)

How's that Megane of yours holding up?

Ah i see. Its not been a bad motor so far tbh. Not half as much fun as the clio's. Only thing thats pissing me off at the moment is that it has a leak something. The footwells getting wet with all this rain we have been having. I found it dripping inside the door/front well area but dunno where its coming from exactly :cry:

darrenm1eqn
01-02-2008, 17:02
Hi Thanks for the info

Does anyone know the part number for a a replacemeny Coolant Temp Sensor as i ordered one from Euro car parts but looks like ive ordered the wrong part ,

So does anyone know the GSF or Euro Car Part part number i need

Cheers Guys

Darren

It makes such a difference as the ECU ignores the sensor values at cold start and uses a "known" set of values in the lookup tables. When its warm the sensor values are taken in to account but if it's throwing false readings it causes the problems you're seeing.

To test the ECT with a multi meter:

20oC - 3061-4045 Ohms
40oC - 1315-1600 Ohms
80oC - 301-367 Ohms
90oC - 212-273 Ohms

What you need to be sure of is that the readings fall steadily as the car warms up and that the figures don't jump about.

Mick