PDA

View Full Version : Head work

Wobba
29-01-2008, 13:32
Ok, next main thing for me to get done after my HG failure is head checking and skimming.

Money is very tight, so this is a big consideration. Been quoted about £75 for testing (and skimming if it needs it). This was from avery straight forward company down the road from me.

Also been quoted £160 by another company, but they are saying they would rather do a full rebuild and de-carbonising of the head as well with new seals etc as well, plus a warranty of 12 months, all collected and delivered...he knew what my car was too, most people keep asking for stupid car codes...

Hmm, what to do? I'd love a full rebuild and clean up but do I really need it?

white16valver
29-01-2008, 13:44
I wouldn't have thought so tbh.

And if you were going for a strip down and clean up you might as well save up a bit more and go for flowing and cams! :wink:

Wobba
29-01-2008, 13:53
I wouldn't have thought so tbh.

And if you were going for a strip down and clean up you might as well save up a bit more and go for flowing and cams! :wink:

Yea, that was my thinking! I can't leave the car unuseable for long though, need it working again! I wonder if anyone has a head wih all the work done and flowed etc for sale already?

If I could afford to I would have it all done in one go now, but I think I will have to just get the thing tested and skimmed if neccessary.

white16valver
29-01-2008, 13:57
Aren't you near Stan?

He might be able to arrange collection/delivery and the headwork if you are ;)

Wobba
29-01-2008, 14:23
Isn't Stan in Wales? Wales is lightyears from anywhere! everyone knows that :lol:

summeh
29-01-2008, 16:43
Isn't Stan in Wales? Wales is lightyears from anywhere! everyone knows that :lol:

Yes but I'm sure he can organise a courier for you, and being in wales his costs are lower, so perhaps he passes these savings on to customers, he'd have to comment though on that 8)

All you need is a skim really, unless you want head work as well... A skim could be had for no more than £40 mate. Probably a good idea to get it pressure tested as well I guess, unless you can CLEARLY see the HG failure. You'll know for sure once you crack that head off. :lol:

Allan
29-01-2008, 17:36
http://www.sa-motorsports.com/do-it-yourself.aspx

how good are your skills?

Wobba
29-01-2008, 18:06
They make it sound easy, I guess porting could be simple with the right tools.

I think I will go for just the head check and skim if neccessary.

Wobba
01-02-2008, 14:45
Right tomorrow is the day I take the head off...how much damn harder can it be!!??!! Fed up of hearing people say they did theirs in 3 hours! Taking me days. Poor car has been sat out there with a tarpaulin over it for days now :(

Justin..
01-02-2008, 15:16
nothing is easy the first time! people who say they did it in 3 hours have most likely done it numerous times

number1
01-02-2008, 17:24
Some i know with an xr3i ported his head in half an hour apparently, i asked him how, "oh with a dremel" was the reply oh right yeah nice "yeah didnt even need to take the valves out!!" right you've just F***ED it up then? he was doing a full engine rebuild and knew it would be 200bhp before it was rebuilt :lol: :lol: :lol:

Justin..
01-02-2008, 18:27
lolollolololol