PDA

View Full Version : Williams won't start!

106diablogti
29-01-2008, 08:25
Bit of a problem at the moment, my car won't start.

This is the story, Sunday was the last time I started the car, I was adding some new exhasut rubber exhaust mounts, I moved the car to gain better access for the jack. It started fine but sounded a little sheepish (not as strong starting as normal).

Come Monday morning start her up and the battery definately sounded a bit flat (possibly becuase I was testing a new stereo (but nothing too loud and only for about 5 minutes on and off, never had any problems before).
The fuel pump can be heard priming and the starter motor turning but she won't power up.

Last night I took the dizzy cap off and inspected the rotor arm and inside of the cap. There was a tiny bit of wear and dust which I cleaned up but nothing bad enough to be concerned about (It will be changed at its service this weekend). I next inspected the plugs (heavy smell of fuel on tips), they all appear fine (also getting changed this up coming weekend).

I took each spark plug out and tested them, they are sparking (well a weak spark followed by a strong spark then a weak spark) I have put this down to a weak battery.

I charged the battery up last night and the car sound more authoritive in starting, sometimes it sounds like its just about to start but doesn't.

Oh distributor leads were changed about 2000 miles ago and are fine.

So what can you guys suggest I try next??

cliokiz
29-01-2008, 10:14
Coil? checked your earths? immobiliser?

106diablogti
29-01-2008, 21:45
I've checked everything mentioned and all seems fine.
I spoke to a friend who used to own a Williams and he suggested the TDC sensor(crank sensor) and that it was a common fault. I have ordered a replacement sensor. Is there a way to test the old one??

Cheers

katbloke
29-01-2008, 22:31
rich whats your battery voltage, needs to be 12 ish before any life happens, did you check the electrolite levels if possible, have ya tried jumping it off the cobra or whatever else maybe there on the day, knowing your stereo work youve prob just drained the battery within an inch of its life trying to set the staging, i ahve a fluke meter if you want me to come around cant really do much before sunday though

BRUN
29-01-2008, 22:40
Crank Sensor
150-250ohms

if its outside those values its a possibility

katbloke
30-01-2008, 00:05
Also tdc sensor is easy to clean/remove/replace i find it easier if you remove the battery then airbox, simply a case of 1 bolt and a wire block, might be something as simple as a dirty connection from coil to sensor or the tip of the sensor itself could be dirty

106diablogti
30-01-2008, 14:09
The battery is healthy, took it out and registered 12.5 volts, charged it for a day registers 12.86v.

I found the TDC had 2 bolts locking it in place??? and 2 wires coming out into a connector.

106diablogti
30-01-2008, 14:11
Also tried to jump the car off the xtrail, tried for about 10 minutes with revs on the xtrail. The leads were getting hot indicating plenty of current was getting there.

106diablogti
30-01-2008, 20:05
Great news, replaced the crank sensor connected battery and she started straight away! turned her off turned her back on no problem. Took her for a blast and seems to pull a bit harder now :)

All in all a happy chappy.

katbloke
30-01-2008, 20:49
nice one rich, where from and how much just in case, last failure on mine was fixed doing a clean up

JonnyK
30-01-2008, 22:37
where is the crank sensor?

MatBrown
30-01-2008, 23:12
Top of the gearbox.

Mat.