PDA

View Full Version : Need picture of crankshaft pulley bolt on timing belt

Wobba
25-01-2008, 17:59
As per heading. Timing belt removal for head remoavl for HG change...and I am stuck and fed up :(

Wobba
25-01-2008, 18:04
This is the bolt you are sposed to turn to get TDC right?

Another question: how are you supposed to do that when you have to get under the car to turn it...thus not see the cam pulleys position?

Lunner
25-01-2008, 18:43
Right, **** the whole TDC idea off

Take the belt off and take the head off, when the heads off turn the crank so all the pistons are half way down the bores, then put the head back on and simply time in using timing marks on belt and pullies.

Incidentally the pulley you are looking for, if you look from the wheel arch its the pulley just under the bottom of the chassis rail, its the only pulley that the aux and timing belt go round

Wobba
25-01-2008, 19:16
Right, f**k the whole TDC idea off

Take the belt off and take the head off, when the heads off turn the crank so all the pistons are half way down the bores, then put the head back on and simply time in using timing marks on belt and pullies.

Incidentally the pulley you are looking for, if you look from the wheel arch its the pulley just under the bottom of the chassis rail, its the only pulley that the aux and timing belt go round

I've got ya, thanks Lunner. Needed to confirm I was undoing the right bloody pulley, and lol, I was undoing the wrong one! It gives me hope as it's no way as hard as the pther one!

Thanks for TDC tips too!

Wobba
25-01-2008, 19:50
What you are saying is, ignore TDC and set each half of the engine up to the point it should be at using the marks on the head and bore position on the block, then reattach belt so its all happy?

Of course, moving the cam pulleys when the belt is off wont change the bore position, so it's ok to do so. Sounds easy!

Lets hope I get to that stage...I am quickly running out of blood and even my cuts seem to have cuts in them...have to numb the pain with BEER!

Lunner
25-01-2008, 20:45
When you take the head off turn the crank so the pistons are all half way down the bores. The position of the pulleys on the head aren't important at this stage.

Put the head back on, and for the cambelt line the timing mark on the belt up with that on the crank pulley, and then rotate the pulleys on the head to match the timing marks on the belt. Then tension, and the important bit, turn it a couple of rotations by hand to make sure there isn't any problems, shoudl turn with the likes of a 200mm rachet

Wobba
26-01-2008, 13:41
As you said, **** TDC! I understand. Thanks!

summeh
27-01-2008, 19:34
I just cut the timing belt saves having to get under etc and mess about. once the head is off access to the pulleys for changing etc is easier.

How are you getting on with this now mate?

Wobba
28-01-2008, 01:21
Didn't get much done today, just fiddled about and got stuck with one of the screws holding the upper timing belt cover...

Cleaned a few bits too, hopefully the old engine bay will have a nice spring clean with all this stuff being taken out!