PDA

View Full Version : Alternator drivebelt

Wobba
25-01-2008, 15:50
Hi. As part of my HG and cambelt change I have to remove this. Its another French design special where you need a couple of midgets with 5 arms.

I have loosened the shield to the charcoal canister, but simply CANT get the fuking allan key in. If it's this hard to take aparyt for just one thing to undo something else to get to something else etc etc then I cant be arsed with this anymore :(

BristolSam16v
25-01-2008, 16:08
Its in this guide for the alternator:

http://www.williamsclio.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=15481

shouldn't need to touch the charcoal canister shield :? there are some wires which run infront of the pulley with a cover over them, you need to turn the screw on the front of this cover half a turn so you can pull the cover up to give you enough clearence to get the spanners in as shown in tht guide.

Wobba
25-01-2008, 16:33
Thanks for that, nice to see. Unfortunately, on mine there is virtually no space to get to the tension pully bolt. I have managed it now, but it wasn't easy. Now I amm stuck on loosening the crankshaft pulley bolt. It's stuck firm like everything else on my car...

number1
25-01-2008, 17:29
You have to take off the alternator as there is bolts in underneath that need unbolting when you take the head off, just push the alternator forward after you have undone the bolts holding it in place and wiggle the belt off

Dave

Wobba
25-01-2008, 17:34
Ahh, ok, another item to remove..! Joy.

At this rathe the entire car will be in pieces...and they say people do GH changes in 3 hours....right.

Lunner
25-01-2008, 19:25
Would have said 3 hours was pushing it a bit , done one in about 1-2 hours iirc, bu the engine was already outa the car

Smudger
25-01-2008, 22:51
you dont need to remove the alternator

losen the bottom nut of the alternator then remove the top bolt, again from the alternator. then push it onto the block. that should give you just about enough slack to take the old belt and put the new one on.

I had mine on a rap the the car in the air, wheel off headlight and bonnet off and took about an hour max

number1
26-01-2008, 19:17
Just had a look, yeh the bracket i was thinking about is accessible without taking the alt out

Dave