PDA

View Full Version : Headlight trouble

robi1000
25-01-2008, 10:36
I know this is Williams Clio forum but I have this problem on my daily runabout that is really starting to get on my nerves. Recently I installed Xenon kit in my Peugeot 607 and it's working fine. The only thing is that my car's ECU thinks my left bulb is blown. But it's working fine. How can I convince him that everything is A OK? Please, if anyone knows how to solve this because those flashing warnings on BC and continious beeping are really irritating.

Cheers,

Robi

number1
25-01-2008, 10:56
Disconnect and reconnect the Battery? check theres no wires off, i would have thought there was a signal wire coming from the bulb to the dash

white16valver
25-01-2008, 19:26
I remember reading on ebay that some cars have issues that require certain kits, but I'm not sure if they do one for the 607 or not :(

There must be some sort of voltage or resistance issue perhaps?

robi1000
26-01-2008, 01:10
I guess it really has something to do with resistance. I think it measures electric current passing through a bulb which has it's resistance. If it's blown it's resistance is infinite. But actual resistance is hard to measure because hot filament has a different resistance than a cold one. So if anyone has any idea how to measure glowing bulb's resistance please come forward. :D
If I knew what kind of resistor I need, then perhaps I could try and insert one between a bulb and connector and see if this solves my problem.

robi1000
02-09-2008, 12:41
I'm still having problems with my HID kit. I couldn't figure out how to convince my car that my left bulb is ok. :( I'm really getting tired of that beeping sound and warning that my bulb is blown. Can someone please tell me how car's ECU knows that the light is blown?

Allan
02-09-2008, 13:34
hook and extra relay into it to switch when you switch on and off, so then the ecu will detect the current via the relay instead of via your bulbs / balast

robi1000
02-09-2008, 13:58
Might do the trick, but the problem is that I don't know how this system works. How it detects blown bulb. I spoke with Pug electrician guy, and he could not give me any details on how this works. He said he doesn't know! (can't believe such people service my car)

So if ECU is monitoring current through the bulb then it might work. But I'm not sure that's the case since bulb resistance changes with temperature and so does the current (U=cons.). So if anyone has insight how this systems work please come forward. Any idea is welcome (even the most strange ones)!

robi1000
02-09-2008, 14:04
Also if i bridge the wires with relay I'll short circuit my bulb wiring. Don't know if that's such a good idea. Unless if I'd wire a resistor behind relay. But then I must know rated resistance of the bulb at it's operating temperature. Not to mention that Kirchhoff laws says that all currents in a closed circued must equal 0. So if I want to keep same current on my ballast, then I must increase current before relay (if I want to have sufficient current through it to emulate working bulb) and I might fry my wiring. :? I don't know how overdimensioned those wires are (not to mention that when Xe lamps start peak current is as high as 20A) so I'm not sure how much more can they take? Or I'm wrong?

Allan
02-09-2008, 16:02
I meant adding anoter relay in so that your current switch switch's that relay and then the next relay powers the lights.

Just add's and extralayer in so that the ecu will sens the relay and could trick it into thinking that was the bulb.

You may need resistors in it to give the effect of a bulb...

kenny
03-09-2008, 08:49
I don't know what the hell you lot are talking about, but one thing strikes me as strange. If you have fitted a 2 lamp kit, why is only one lamp showing a fault? Could it be that a connector or cable to that side has corrosion and is increasing the resistance?

robi1000
03-09-2008, 09:19
Car is garaged and there is no rust or corrosion. :? I will try to take some pictures of the wiring when I come back from the trip.