PDA

View Full Version : Radiator drain pipe stuck

Wobba
24-01-2008, 15:02
Ok, at every f*cking stage of the way thre is a new problem. I can't see being able to fix anything major if this is how it is all along the way...

I cant get the radiator lower pipe off as the OE clamps that hold it on are just to goddam hard to get off. There is simply NO SPACE, and yes I have tried to get the front bumper off and the bolt behind the shitty reg pate is (like everything else) stuck fast and none od my sockets seem to fit it anyway...why do they have a different size for EVERYTHING!!!?

It took me a day to just get the goddam battery securing bolt off...seiously if its this hard for something that should be simple...there is no way I'll get a HG or cambelt done at this rate.

Are there any tips, other than a chainsaw, on how to get the damn clip off and then another new one back on after I have drained the coolant...

bluenose
24-01-2008, 15:22
I couldnt seem to get enough room to get to mine either so i just took the other one off :lol:

white16valver
24-01-2008, 15:26
Have you got a pair of molegrips?

If your rad pipe clamps are the funny clamps that you have to squeeze two 'tongues' together then yes, they are a complete bitch to do, but the molegrips will maintain pressure while you manouevre (sp) the clip along the pipe, away from the plastic tube bit of the rad it clamps onto.

I had to get underneath the bloody thing on axle stands and have coolant run down my arm while I worked the clip along the pipe and away from the rad :roll:

alex_blue16v
24-01-2008, 15:27
Depends if its one of those stupid ones you cant undo or one of therm clips you have to squeeze to open.
Mine was one of the squeeze ones and to get it off i undid the rad from the slam panel and took that off which gave me enough space to get a screwdriver down there to wriggle the clip round so i could sort of get at it from underneath.
Then with much swearing, fiddling and a bit of luck got some mole grips on the clip to hold it open while i wiggled and pulled the hose til eventually it came off.

To solve this problem in future i will be using jubilee clips :)

hope this helps mate
alex

alex_blue16v
24-01-2008, 15:27
Depends if its one of those stupid ones you cant undo or one of therm clips you have to squeeze to open.
Mine was one of the squeeze ones and to get it off i undid the rad from the slam panel and took that off which gave me enough space to get a screwdriver down there to wriggle the clip round so i could sort of get at it from underneath.
Then with much swearing, fiddling and a bit of luck got some mole grips on the clip to hold it open while i wiggled and pulled the hose til eventually it came off.

To solve this problem in future i will be using jubilee clips :)

hope this helps mate
alex

white16valver
24-01-2008, 15:32
I did the same ^^^ lol

Lunner
24-01-2008, 15:37
Try accessing it from the front wheel arch area

Wobba
24-01-2008, 16:22
It IS a bitch of a pipe isn't it? I've got the wheel off, and mudguard shields (had to do this anyway to get the timing belt lower cover off)
It is one of those green clips that you have to squeeze. Dont actually have any molegrips as yet.

I have tried going in from underneath, and currently have the car on axle stands, but the clip is in such a position as to make it very tricky to get a hold of both tongues to squeeze...bah!

I guess I'll have to get some moleclips...

What I may do is tomorrow take the bonnet off, slam panel, undo radiator and remove grill and hopefully be able to work the rad into the open a bit to remove the pipe...

I have jubilee clips ready to replace these bloody things already!

Wobba
24-01-2008, 16:55
lol frankly, this takes the piss. A simple coolant flush...cant even get the pipe off. I love how it says in Haynes, 'remove the lower pipe'. A day later and all io have to show for it is a pile iof stuff I've had to take off to have a slight chance of removing it and lots of cuts. French shit!

alex_blue16v
24-01-2008, 17:11
when i emptied mine i also managed to completely miss the bucket i put underneath to catch the coolant cos it all went down the subframe and covered the garage floor, nuthin with these cars is ever simple.

Wobba
24-01-2008, 17:55
Well, same happened to me, but I think thats because I flushed it througfh the upper hose...gave up with the lower one in the end, its a fuking joke that pipe :( Almost got it off then the clip swivelled around and I couldnt get it back.

Flushed a part of the system though, coolant managed to go mostly in a bucket but was overspill, washed it off though so np.

Tonight I will gove my dirty bottle a clean out and leave overnight with cleaning stuff in :D

Probably removem radiator tomorrow or Saturday anyway.

drsmith1979
24-01-2008, 18:01
get a spare one from a scrapper, cut the ****er off and remove while the rad is out and replace hehe,.. but put a jubilee clip on instead!

Lunner
24-01-2008, 18:52
I think i had a couple i couldn't access, try using your fingers....think i squeezed a big one so hard i ended up cutting my finger....didn't stop me till i'd got it off tho :twisted: ......went straight in the bin

MAXIBOY
24-01-2008, 19:32
its easier if you free the radiator and move it up and forwards giving access to the clip the first time. the replace with a jubilee clip to make it easier from then on..

arj256
25-01-2008, 14:43
Jack the front of the car up so you can get underneith it.
And use mole grips to compress the clip.
its a real pain but there are a couple of places you can get abit of movement with the mole grips on.

Geting the hose back on is just as fun :wink:

Wobba
25-01-2008, 15:47
Still not got this off, now faced with whole new problem. Car looks like a bomb has hit it. I am ujust stunned at how poorly designed these cars are for maintenance.

Lunner
25-01-2008, 18:49
They're ok when you know all the little tricks and tips.....and thats what we're here for ;)

donsrno1
25-01-2008, 19:05
They're ok when you know all the little tricks and tips.....and thats what we're here for ;)

Too true, also more often than not rust is a major problem (not so much for the radiator obviously) but when you try doing jobs without everything corroded it's much easier. For example the other night I had both front struts off in less than 20 mins from start to finish purely because nothing was rusted whereas doing that job with everything corroded could take a hell of a lot longer.

white16valver
25-01-2008, 19:31
'tis true.

I've been lucky when I've done bits, and it was *still* a complete nightmare the first time you do anything lol

Are you going to get the rad out and flush it through? (not sure if you're changing it or just doing a service) You might as well if you've got as far as you have lol

An amazing amount of crap came out of mine!

Wobba
26-01-2008, 19:16
Right...finally got the bitch off!

Got some clamps round the clip in the end from under the car and just kept tightening:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/My%2016V/DSC00241.jpg

After getting the rust out of my eye, I got up, took the pic above, and started to work the little bitch loose...until VICTORY!!!!!!

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/My%2016V/DSC00242.jpg

Yoinked the rad and fan out too, with the plastic surround that funnels air in:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/My%2016V/DSC00244.jpg

I'm getting there!

Flushed the Rad out too, though I will do this a load more when it's light. A lot of crap came out, lots of silt. I'd prefer a new radiator, but I think this one should be okay for now:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/My%2016V/DSC00247.jpg

So, a good days work has been had. Took it easy today and didn't let it piss me off....guess which is my car:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/My%2016V/DSC00246.jpg

Now...where did I put them cold beers :D

drsmith1979
26-01-2008, 19:21
Rome wasnt built in a day ladio... success is all relative and you are experiencing it now good lad!

that rad looked rather clogged lol... should be ok if you give it a thorough clean through with the hose tomorrow

summeh
27-01-2008, 20:27
lol bet the neighbours love you :P

Wobba
27-01-2008, 23:05
The next door neighbour is fortunately a track-fiend nutcase with a Lotus Elise S2. With work, it's going to mean the car sitting like that for the whole week as it gets dark too early :(

Tried and failed to get the timing belt cover off, seems I need to remove a load of bits to get to the torx screws...

white16valver
28-01-2008, 10:08
I'm guessing you live in a good neighbourhood where things don't go walkies lol

Well done on getting it off though! :D

Satisfying when it's done, and gives you confidence to do other bits again in the future 8)

Flush the rad through a couple of times both ways, until it runs clear, and should help things a little bit! :)