PDA

View Full Version : battery light on

matt_clio
22-01-2008, 23:43
was driving home from work tonight and noticed my battery light was on. but its not very bright , not like when you have your ignition on or when the battery aint charging etc aint had chance to look yet though

also when i turn my head unit up to say 20 or more it cuts out then turn on again? any ideas?

matt

richy
22-01-2008, 23:46
mine was the same when the alternator packed in, wouldnt charge fully under load

DaveH
23-01-2008, 00:58
Put a meter across the battery when running is the simplest check- expect to see around 14-14.5v when running (with all auxhilary electrics off)- if its 10-12v or less its not charging (providing battery voltage standing is 12v!)

When my alternator went it was running just over 10- beware its not certain to be the alternator but check the leads etc, very common for alternator issues!

matt_clio
23-01-2008, 20:35
Put a meter across the battery when running is the simplest check- expect to see around 14-14.5v when running (with all auxhilary electrics off)- if its 10-12v or less its not charging (providing battery voltage standing is 12v!)

When my alternator went it was running just over 10- beware its not certain to be the alternator but check the leads etc, very common for alternator issues!

yeah i know how to do that matey! any hows checked it today and it was only 11 volts so it was on with fitting the new alternator only took an hour not bad for utter shite job!

but its all fine now a nice healthy 14 volts :D

DaveH
24-01-2008, 00:36
Glad you sorted it pal