PDA

View Full Version : engine management fuse popping

1fast6
21-01-2008, 11:28
Last night the 30A engine bay management fuse (fuse 6) decided to pop for no reason forcing me to the side of the road :(

Replacing the fuse allows the car to run for 30 seconds to a minute then it pops again. Looking at the haynes, fuse 6 is connected to the lambda, fuel pump relay and ignition relay. But i can't find any stripped wires at all!

Please help :(

midge
21-01-2008, 13:13
a wire somewhere is shorting out, spray it all with wd40

1fast6
21-01-2008, 14:45
ok thanks, will do.

could the lambda be causing the short?

1fast6
21-01-2008, 18:21
Check wiring just to the side of the passenger headlamp, mine did this as the wiring was rubbing on the chassis rail!

Which wiring do you mean fella? The loom that goes into the relay box?

1fast6
21-01-2008, 18:52
I think so (from memory) could check for u but wouldn't be till the weekend.

ok cool any details will be great. thanks.

MattyH16valver
21-01-2008, 19:46
From memory I had this happen to me mate....check for any wires that are near the manifold and drive shaft area.....when I had the car the wire got to hot and the fuse blew causing the engine to cut out. Matt

1fast6
21-01-2008, 19:59
Wires near the manifold are the oil pressure sensor cable, loom for the starter motor and loom that goes down to the lambda sensor.

Do you remember which wire was the problem Matt?

MAXIBOY
21-01-2008, 20:04
or could be the fuel pump failing...

MAXIBOY
21-01-2008, 20:05
might be worth unplugging said items and seeing if it still does it.. then plugging in one buy one again..

MattyH16valver
21-01-2008, 20:05
Wires near the manifold are the oil pressure sensor cable, loom for the starter motor and loom that goes down to the lambda sensor.

I'm not totallty sire mate...it was just a single wire....I'm sure when I had the car thoug I got under the car and repaired the wire with electrical tape and made sure it was clipped to the subframe somewhere...think I cable tied it so it did'nt get near the manifold. Sounds the same symtons though as I had it happen to me on the way back from FCS06 and I had to call the AA out. Definately not the starter motor or Oil pressure sender cable me thinks. :?

1fast6
21-01-2008, 20:07
or could be the fuel pump failing...

Would that explain its ability to idle for different periods of time though?

MAXIBOY
21-01-2008, 20:10
maybe if its getting hot and shorting across the motor as they do.

does it do it when just switch on or only when running....

1fast6
21-01-2008, 20:13
only when running. leaving the ignition on doesn't seem to trip the fuse out.

like i say it seems to run for different periods of time with no intervention which is why i am finding it difficult to find the cause.i can go and put a new fuse in it now, start it and it could run from anything between 10 seconds and 15 minutes....

1fast6
21-01-2008, 20:20

I'm not totallty sire mate...it was just a single wire....I'm sure when I had the car thoug I got under the car and repaired the wire with electrical tape and made sure it was clipped to the subframe somewhere...think I cable tied it so it did'nt get near the manifold. Sounds the same symtons though as I had it happen to me on the way back from FCS06 and I had to call the AA out. Definately not the starter motor or Oil pressure sender cable me thinks. :?

Aha i had it up on axel stands earlier and noticed the electrical tape around the lambda loom section. But the wire looked 100% ok and was still cable tied to the block and not rubbing on anything...

The lambda circuit is the only thing on the earth side of the fuse. But i honestly cannot visually see anything wrong with the loom, and the loom shorting against the block doesn't explain the car running for 15 mins earlier today...

chris16v
21-01-2008, 22:33
i had this problem a few months back! It turned out the wire comming from the ecu had frayed and was touching the metal. and everytime i used the wipers it would blow the engine management fuse!! So i taped the wire up an its been fine ever since :lol:

1fast6
23-01-2008, 18:49
Mine was the same as this, would run then all of a sudden the fuse would blow.....did the new fuel pump thing which didn't solve it :? ...eventually took it to an Auto-electric and he found the problem.

Just where the wires run behind the headlamp it had rubbed away causing it too earth on the chassis rail.

Gaz, you win a prize fella! Thanks

Rubbing on the chassis rail as the loom runs out from the relay box and over the top of the gearbox. Not mounted to the chassis and so moves around rubbing the tape off. Yellow wire on mine was rubbed through causing the fuse to pop. NOT visible just through looking.

MattyH16valver
23-01-2008, 20:45
Glad ur sorted mate! 8)

MAXIBOY
23-01-2008, 21:33
well done mate...glad its sorted... and well done Gaz