PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy rear shock absorber?

donsrno1
21-01-2008, 02:00
I fitted my new leda shocks to the rear of the clio today but have had a few issues. After fitting them I tried raising the rear hub on each side to make sure they seemed ok, but whilst one side was fine the shock on the other side made a weird sort of gargling noise for about its first 1 cm of movement then seemed ok. After a mate had a look we reckoned I should try lowering the rear suspension as planned and see if it was fine then as the first 1 cm of its travel would be out of the equation.

Anyway, after I lowered it things were a lot better but on that side there was still a very slight knocking noise when I tried raising the hub by hand. Tbh I can't be sure its even the shock but thats where my suspicions lie due to the earlier noise it made. It sounds more like a knocking noise from a bush though so I just wondered if there are any bushes or anything at the rear of the car that could cause the noise other than those on the shock itself? And if not are there any other possibilities you can think of other than the shock absorber?

Thanks.

MAXIBOY
21-01-2008, 08:51
there is the bush in the rear arm. did you work the shocks of the car first. are they new or second hand shocks

donsrno1
21-01-2008, 14:15
Brand new shocks, didn't work them before they were put on - should I have done?

donsrno1
21-01-2008, 14:16
Also where about is the bush and do they tend to knock?

Cheers.

MAXIBOY
21-01-2008, 20:03
yeah i always prime new shocks first a pumping a few times..

bush is it the axle where the swing arm rotates

donsrno1
22-01-2008, 00:11
Ok, got the fronts on today and got a chance to take it out for a drive. I'm getting some really horrible noises from the rear though, its like one of the shocks (funnily enough not the one I mentioned) is making what is almost a scraping like noise.

What I'm thinking of doing is raising the back of the car a little and when I do so remove the lower mounting bolt and try pumping the shock a few times to see what its like. Seem like a reasonable plan?

MAXIBOY
22-01-2008, 00:25
yes mate sounds like a plan mate. mine have been fine

donsrno1
22-01-2008, 00:29
Nice one, cheers for your help. I'll post up my findings tomorrow if I have time to get it done before uni tomorrow.