PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump still not priming!!

stew
20-01-2008, 12:45
Have re-wired pretty much the whole thing.

Relay is fine in engine bay.

Cranks but does not fire!

Was wondering if anyone can help, and know what this is...

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/stew_punk/DSC00276.jpg

http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j85/stew_punk/DSC00275.jpg

It looks to be a relay and is somehow wired into the fuel pump system, but its not anywhere in the haynes book, and im not sure what it exactly controls.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

stew

katbloke
20-01-2008, 13:54
translation of 'temporisateur' is timer not much help but hayho

Bayliss
20-01-2008, 17:10
stew if i remember rightly when me n richy where going through my wiring, there should be two relays pulling in, one for the ignition system which should then operate one for fueling iirc, Mine turned out to be a broken wire from the alternator to the positive side of battery in the end which powers the 2nd relay.

davem
21-01-2008, 00:59
Check the feed to the fuel pump wire. if there is no feed here then
there are two relays. First is the main, second is for the guage and transfer pump for reserve tank.
Labelled something like k20 I and K20 II.
To test bridge pin 3 and 5 on the first relay with a fused wire. If pump runs then the relay is at fault.

The second relay looks like what you have in your picture. This afects the fuel guage and runs the transfer pump and shouldnt stop it running as the main fuel pump feed is taken off the wire going to pin 4 before it goes through the relay (test for a 12 v feed here with ignition on to test feed to fuel pump.)
The fuel pump relay is under the black plastic cover on the passenger side inner wing. There will also be an engine control relay in there too(and a couple of others for lights etc) which powers up the ecu. This could also be at fault. should be a 12 volt feed to pin 3 permanently and pin 1 with ignition switched on. This relay is labelled k46 and if you switch the ignition on and off you should hear this one clicking.

If all the feeds are there then check the fuel pump earthing. If there is good earthing and a feed to the pump then the pump is at fault.

stew
21-01-2008, 19:47
thanks for all the help guys.

will let u know what the results are at the weekend prob!

working 6 days a week at the mo, so no free time.

really need to get it up and running. been sitting for over 2 months now!!!!

hill_power_clio
22-01-2008, 11:56
Hi;

I have an intermittent problem where by the fuel pump doesn't prime AND the immobiliser light doesn't come up on the dash.

Any ideas? It can leave me sitting there for ages til it suddenly decides to work, but then after it will just spring into life!

Annoying and embarrasing to say the least!

Where should I check first!?

davem
22-01-2008, 20:44
strange that. Immobiliser is linked to the ecu and so is the fuel pump. So would look along the lines of a bad earth on the ecu or a faulty engine control relay first. Locate the engine control relay under the black cover on the passenger side wing. When the problem occurs try givin the relay a tap, if it goes then its a sticky relay.
If not try wiggling some of the wires and the earths.
With it being intermittent more likely to be bad connection/loose/broken wire related or a sticky relay.

hill_power_clio
23-01-2008, 11:33
thanks mate - done a bit of wiggling and cleaned up the connections on the relays and it seems to be ok at the moment. I'll will check the grounds too. Next time I'm down scrappers I'll pocket a few spare relays n all!

Thanks

stew
23-01-2008, 17:15
mine did this too for a while, then was fine, then was fooooked...

still not had a chance to look over the car as its at the parents house.

mite have a look 2nite. :)

stew
23-01-2008, 21:24
Right lads, can someone put me right...

There are 3 relays in the engine bay box.

1)Ignition
2)Fuel pump
3)What i believe to be electric fan related (bridging pins 3 and 5 cuased the fan to go on!)

Where is the engine management relay, what colour wires does it have coming to/from it.

What are the order of the relays from looking top of the box to the bottom?

Im thinking they go...

1st)Ign
2nd)Fuel
3rd)Fan

I can hear 2 relays click when the ign key is turned, one i imagine being the ign relay as the thing cranks over, the other being the fuel pump im guessing? The fuel pump still isnt priming tho, no voltage feed to the pump at all, and its really doing my head in!!!

Help!

Oh and thanks! 8)

stew
23-01-2008, 21:34
Right lads, can someone put me right...

There are 3 relays in the engine bay box.

1)Ignition
2)Fuel pump
3)What i believe to be electric fan related (bridging pins 3 and 5 cuased the fan to go on!)

Where is the engine management relay, what colour wires does it have coming to/from it.

What are the order of the relays from looking top of the box to the bottom?

Im thinking they go...

1st)Ign
2nd)Fuel
3rd)Fan

I can hear 2 relays click when the ign key is turned, one i imagine being the ign relay as the thing cranks over, the other being the fuel pump im guessing? The fuel pump still isnt priming tho, no voltage feed to the pump at all, and its really doing my head in!!!

Help!

Oh and thanks! 8)

stew
25-01-2008, 17:37
bump???

stew
29-01-2008, 16:07
any further suggestions people??

please, im desperate! :(