PDA

View Full Version : Halfords Torque Wrench Q

u33db
18-01-2008, 15:23
I bought some torque wrenchs from halfords last year (the ones where you set the value on the hand and then 'lock' it by turning the end of the handle).

I've long since thrown the instructions out and only used them once whereby i broke a stud on a cylinder head!

My question is...how do you know when the specified torque is reached?

When i did the cylinder head (motorbike) as i tightened it up it kindof clicked a few times before disaster took hold...i was expecting it to go completely slack/disconnected but maybe not?

Just enquiring before i use them again on the car...

MAXIBOY
18-01-2008, 16:11
when you get to the correct torque you get a click...once this happens stop tightening as you can over tighten it. then do the rest. then recheck them over at which point it should just click to tell you its already there....

easy once you have done a few...

u33db
18-01-2008, 16:16
That explains it then - I must have got about 5/6 clicks before it snapped!

Doh! :oops:

At least i know now i suppose.

Thanks! :)

MAXIBOY
18-01-2008, 16:32
always practise by shutting a nut in the vice and torquing a bolt up into it. get a feel before you break anything you might need

Lunner
18-01-2008, 17:57
Also you shoudl never leave it wound up, always turn the torque right down till handle goes slack, if you leave it wound up it ****s the calibration

Wobba
18-01-2008, 18:07
I needed to know this for my HG change next week! Thanks.

Lunner
18-01-2008, 18:15
For clio head bolts you'll need an angular torque gauge, mine fits over my 1/2" drive breaker bar, hold the outside and turn it the specified angle, its a draper one, best one i've seen and about £3.....or you can make your own from a bit of card if your pikey like lol

DaveH
18-01-2008, 21:31
Torque wrenches give me no end of problems! We have to have them calibrated every 6 months and once they fail (out by 4% at a set torque) we are not allowed to use them again, ive had two signet ones fail at first attempt and two 4-24nm ones also- tester said it was my fault for being cheap lol.

We do have company taskmaster ones that are always left wound up and never fail! Sods law