PDA

View Full Version : Spacers / Wider Track

CLIO RS
17-01-2008, 13:10
I hope someone can help.

I’m thinking about getting some spacers for my Mk1 Clio 16V to go on the front to give a wider look. I would love to do this correctly with a Williams wide track, but I can’t find a second hand set-up.

My clio is standard ride height, well I’m using Williams springs on Koni adjustable shocks, on the standard phase 2 alloys (36 offset – I think).

What I’m planning are:

Option A

I’m planning to use 15mm hub centric spacers either side at the front to give me nearly the same wide stance as the Williams (32mm) - £30 including longer wheel nuts.

I’m also planning to use 5mm spacers at the rears (using the standard nuts) to fill the arches a little - £10

The problem is that I will also need to pay for new longer locking wheel nuts, which will cost £28.

Total cost £68

Option B

Another way of doing this is to use 25mm hub centric spacers that bolt to the hub and then use the standard nuts and locking wheel nuts to attach the alloys to the spacer. The spacer kit will cost of £35.

With this set-up I was also planning to use 5mm spacers at the rears (using the standard nuts) £10

No need for new longer wheel nuts - £0

But I don’t have a clue whether the 25mm spacers will make the alloys sit too close to the edge of the wings and look stupid.

Total cost £45

Can anyone please give me some advice on what set up to use or alternatives and any pictures of peoples cars with the Williams set up (including original Williams’) or spacers would be great.

Thank you

davem
17-01-2008, 18:42
there plenty of wide track set ups for sale, better off doing it properly as spacers are a bit of a bad area to go into and are only really a quick fix. Plus with spacers you tend to find your wheel bearings can suffer and end up costing you.
Wide track set up from a williams may be more expensive but is the proper way of doing things and not the short cut.

Daz.
17-01-2008, 20:13
I'd never use spacers - I quickly ruled that out when widetracking the valver... never got round to it in the end - ended up with a willy instead!

white16valver
17-01-2008, 20:30
there plenty of wide track set ups for sale, better off doing it properly as spacers are a bit of a bad area to go into and are only really a quick fix. Plus with spacers you tend to find your wheel bearings can suffer and end up costing you.
Wide track set up from a williams may be more expensive but is the proper way of doing things and not the short cut.
And if you widetrack it you certainly won't regret it! :twisted: :D

CLIO RS
17-01-2008, 22:25
Thanks guys..

Any ideas where I could get a wide track set-up? I've looked on ebay and can't find any.

Would my 16v Koni shocks be ok to use with the wide track set-up?

Cheers

number1
17-01-2008, 22:59
They will fit but you'll kill your tyres inside edges out due to excessive camber. Matteh has valver shocks on his widetrack setup, ive just bought some williams dampers but apparently you can slot the strut holes..

Dave

MAXIBOY
17-01-2008, 23:47

i always and will have to disagree with this as its an old wives tale. spacers are fine....i run 25mm spacers with huge tyres and rims and have no problems with bearings and never have in 25 years of using them...

but the wide track williams set up is still a better bet as it has an uprated anti roll bar...but spacers will be fine if you don,t want to go to the expense of shocks etc...

1fast6
17-01-2008, 23:50

i always and will have to disagree with this as its an old wives tale. spacers are fine....i run 25mm spacers with huge tyres and rims and have no problems with bearings and never have in 25 years of using them...

but the wide track williams set up is still a better bet as it has an uprated anti roll bar...but spacers will be fine if you don,t want to go to the expense of shocks etc...

I agree with you. I run spacers with my valver with coilovers and the turn-in is improved compared to standard. I have noticed no adverse affects and the front wheel bearings haven't been changed in a fairly long time as far as i know.

Coops
18-01-2008, 00:05
as above, i run spacers with no ill effects on a valver track

its a cost thing, spacers for 80 quid for nearly as good as widetrack for god knows how much if you include replacing my coilovers for willy items etc

Matty86
18-01-2008, 00:28
Matteh has valver shocks on his widetrack setup, ive just bought some williams dampers but apparently you can slot the strut holes..

for a few days :P

with 16v shocks:

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z18/Matteh449/DSCF0527.jpg
http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z18/Matteh449/dusk.jpg

number1
18-01-2008, 00:53
POTM the matty!!

Allan
18-01-2008, 06:03
im running spacers and 8" wide wheels on my valver and it has no problems but you will need maxi wings on if you want to go that wide, as its a lot widers then my williams..

might wide track it at some point though make it even wider :D

white16valver
18-01-2008, 10:02
Only thing I'd guard against with mega camber is the fact that I found it difficult to stop when I was running it on another car.

You've got such a small amount of tyre on the road when your wheels are straight ahead (basically only the inner edges) that you have to turn slightly when stopping so you can at least get one whole tyre in contact with the road.

I was running a *lot* of camber though but I'm not sure how much...