PDA

View Full Version : Renault 5 Gt Turbo

FQ200turbo
17-01-2008, 01:12
my Gtturbo 8)

http://www.tribaltuning.org/store/icons/entrada-store06.jpghttp://www.tribaltuning.org/motorsport/projectos/FQ200turbo-5Gtturbo/IM001910.jpg
http://www.tribaltuning.org/motorsport/projectos/FQ200turbo-5Gtturbo/DSC_2173.jpghttp://www.tribaltuning.org/motorsport/projectos/FQ200turbo-5Gtturbo/DSC_2172.jpg
http://www.tribaltuning.org/motorsport/projectos/FQ200turbo-5Gtturbo/IM001905.jpghttp://www.tribaltuning.org/motorsport/projectos/FQ200turbo-5Gtturbo/IM001912.jpg
http://www.tribaltuning.org/motorsport/projectos/FQ200turbo-5Gtturbo/IM001732.jpghttp://www.tribaltuning.org/motorsport/projectos/FQ200turbo-5Gtturbo/IM001908.jpg
http://www.tribaltuning.org/motorsport/projectos/FQ200turbo-5Gtturbo/IM001909.jpghttp://www.tribaltuning.org/motorsport/projectos/FQ200turbo-5Gtturbo/IM001363.jpg

hope you enjoy it :p

thelynx
17-01-2008, 01:17
Pocket rocket.. Love these cars until they go boom

stevie_b
17-01-2008, 09:48
Lovely. My first car was a 5 GTT, same colour as that. Not as well specced as your one though! Can't wait to see your Maxi...

titcharoony
17-01-2008, 10:41
keep an 5 gtt std and well serviced and you'll be unlucky if it goes wrong. these are strong little engines. As im sure fq200turbo will agree, problems arise when lil boy racers up the boost to unsafe amounts, think the engine will take it, no regard to fuelling. and before u know it....BOOM! Herpes.
i mean, headgasket. ;) Mine was kept at 9psi, 100% std for 4 years, sold it at 70'000 miles, and the only thing to go wrong on it in all that time was a small split in smaller boost hose. Trick is with these, tie wrap and cover every single electric wire, and make sure all hoses are kept away from anything hot. do that and you've got urself a nice little 5. top motor by the way mate. std is the way for me....but nice to see one that looks like its been done up properly

FQ200turbo
17-01-2008, 11:19
tks for the comments
the gtturbo is the most problematic car in the world lol

griffo20022
17-01-2008, 18:30
OOOO That looks coooooooool! Top work dude!

Rich
17-01-2008, 18:50
i just hate the engine bay on them as it all looks so messy! hoses going everywhere!!!!!

1995clio16v
17-01-2008, 21:30
keep an 5 gtt std and well serviced and you'll be unlucky if it goes wrong. these are strong little engines. As im sure fq200turbo will agree, problems arise when lil boy racers up the boost to unsafe amounts, think the engine will take it, no regard to fuelling. and before u know it....BOOM! Herpes.
i mean, headgasket. ;) Mine was kept at 9psi, 100% std for 4 years, sold it at 70'000 miles, and the only thing to go wrong on it in all that time was a small split in smaller boost hose. Trick is with these, tie wrap and cover every single electric wire, and make sure all hoses are kept away from anything hot. do that and you've got urself a nice little 5. top motor by the way mate. std is the way for me....but nice to see one that looks like its been done up properly

A freind of mine who served an apprentaship in car mechanics said the factory fault with these was that the turbo was oiled cooled rather than water cooled OR maybe it ws the other way around?

Is that bull-shit or the truth?

Nice car BTW!! :D

FQ200turbo
17-01-2008, 21:40
Rich
Gtturbo has many hoses, they all have a function :\

1995clio16v
the Gtt phase 1 is oil cooled, the phase 2 is oil and water cooled

Rich
17-01-2008, 21:56
i know they all have a function, its just i wish it could be presented a bit more tidy! i know this is normal looks wise on most gtt's though! nice cars, i'm just too tall to drive them lol had a go in a mates an my knees were in the dash board!!! :lol:

FQ200turbo
17-01-2008, 22:36
lolll :lol:

titcharoony
29-01-2008, 17:48

A freind of mine who served an apprentaship in car mechanics said the factory fault with these was that the turbo was oiled cooled rather than water cooled OR maybe it ws the other way around?

Is that bull-s**t or the truth?

Was bull. The ph1 renault 5 had a water cooled turbo - and the phase 2 moved over to an oil cooled one. no faults, just decided to change for the different phase.

Maka@shakenbakeracing
31-01-2008, 21:35
R5 GT TURBO engines are bomb proof.
Problems only come when they are fuelled incorrectly
its to easy to do short cuts, throw in bigger main jets and over fuel at low revs, switch boosts up to stupidlevels and not measure afrs correctly.

If you get the carbs fuelled properly a 5 GT will suprise you how reliable the engine can be.
I run mine every day on full whack at 20 psi with a pieer 285 cam strapped up its ar$e. the carbs been set up to fuel properly, no over fueling low down and no under fueling top end and i can say its never once let me down.
except general wear and tear eg: cv joints, tyres, few rusty bits. 17 year old motor at the end of the day.

the biggest problem is when the air charge temp drops below 5 degrees C...your entering carb freeze territory and then youll need a piece of capret to cover the intercooler wooot!!

the 5 Gts reputation was ruined by kids fiddling with silly bleed valves, in car adjustable boosts, running small stock turbos, turn the acutator arms and doing nothing with the fueling except sticking in a silly big main jet.
not to mention not keeping an eye on the ignition.

ive personally thrashed my car form deryby to kent last year along the M1 on the hottest day of the year, stuck in M25 traffic for hours and it never once gave me a single problem. cannot say the same for the 6 or so brand new motors over ehating o nthe side of the m1 i saw that day.

long live the 5 tbh

rs250
09-02-2008, 11:43
Ignition ecu can some times be faulty worth checking as some have intermitent faults.

mon
10-02-2008, 21:58
i had a phase 2 gt turbo has the phase 1 conversion (bleed valve) it was set to 13 1/2 psi intercooler only goes to 14 psi. not the crap screw version whitch moved and boost went up and a 2 1/2 exhaust and kn filter in standard box changed oil every 3k (mobil 1 oil)

had the car nine years only thing that went wrong was a thermostat switch and the drivers electric window switch
the gt was alot more Reliable then me clio 16v to date

kj16v
10-02-2008, 22:18

Is that bull-s**t or the truth?

Was bull. The ph1 renault 5 had a water cooled turbo - and the phase 2 moved over to an oil cooled one. no faults, just decided to change for the different phase.

Both bull :P :D Very early ph1's were oil cooled. All the rest were water cooled with slightly different hose layouts. Nothing wrong with oil cooling. Just mean your oil and turbo work harder

titcharoony
10-02-2008, 23:10
my mistake. kinda right. the ph1's were primarily air cooled. ph2 had water cooling

titcharoony
10-02-2008, 23:12
if i recall from ian at europarts, it was 1985-88 air cooled. from then on watercooled.

mon
11-02-2008, 01:28
the gt turbo was not water cooled the reno 25turbo was not the 5 gt

kj16v
11-02-2008, 13:57
the gt turbo was not water cooled the reno 25turbo was not the 5 gt

gotta lay the smack-down on you biatches :) I've had and worked on enough of them to know, mate! Like I said. Some early ph.1 were oil cooled. Later ph.1 and all ph.2 were water cooled. End of 8)

Dunno what your talking about Mon. Are thinking of chargecoolers or something?

titcharoony
11-02-2008, 14:33
pish! ph1s were air cooled!

kj16v
11-02-2008, 19:09
Posh to your pish! What are you going on about "air cooled"?! We're talking about OIL cooled turbos!

I had a ph.1 (complete with funky ph.1 bodykit and '80's alloys) and it was undeniably water cooled.

Don't believe me? Read the R5 Haynes Manual and weep! :razz: :D

titcharoony
11-02-2008, 22:46
read everything on the web about ph1 r5's and weep!

kj16v
11-02-2008, 23:34
Hmm, which do I believe - My own eyes and hands when I worked on the all the R5's I've owned over the years, plus the Haynes manual to back up what I was seeing

-OR-

a bunch of stuff someone got off the net.

Years of first-hand experience, or web-based idle conjecture? :-k

Anyway believe what you want, mate, doesn't matter. No point argueing over styupidness. Like anyone cares!. Go on, give us a hug! :hug:

Enough thread-jacking! Nice motor, FQ200turbo!!

titcharoony
11-02-2008, 23:56
you forget I've worked with my share of r5's myself - ph1 and ph2 - but we'll agree to disagree

FQ200turbo
20-02-2008, 01:30
tks

rs250
21-02-2008, 18:20
Phase ones with the black body kit with the grooves in are oil cooled to a certain degree but its more to do with lubrication, All phase 2 with body coloured bumpers ans the ignotion ecu in a diffrent place have oil and water, I have owned three.

titcharoony
21-02-2008, 18:30
technically ph1 ones are oil cooled, but they get called air cooled too.

Daz.
21-02-2008, 19:00
Mine's cooled by little men green men rubbing Bonjella everywhere - what phase is mine then?