PDA

View Full Version : possible project

freebone16v
14-01-2008, 13:42
something i have been thinking of, just not sure whether to do it or not.

its become a common conversion now but i fancy the idea of it. was thinking of purchasing a valver / williams shell, then dropping in a 172 engine, as i would start with just a shell with no engine etc it should be cheap, i would also get this painted to a colour i wanted. the engine would probably be quite standard but would have time taken on it, would be painted etc and put in very nicely. the interior would just be 2 buckets with a tidy rear.

whats anybodies thoughts?

the main thing i am worried about is the £££ of this project, to fund this i would be selling my mint 172 ad there is no way i want the project to cost anywhere near as much as i can get for the 172.

thoughts, insults etc all welcome

geesus
14-01-2008, 13:56
will it be your daily driver?

will you be doing the work yourself?

how much do you want to budget for the project?

MAXIBOY
14-01-2008, 14:24
as above

freebone16v
14-01-2008, 15:12
i should hopefully be moving out of home, this means i would move to a place within walking distance of work, or commuting by train, i want to commute without the use of a car.

the work would probably be carried out by myself a little but mainly by danlp6 as we don't live far apart.

in total i think the max i would want to spend is 3k, but that is at max

MAXIBOY
14-01-2008, 16:38
as i would start with just a shell with no engine etc it should be cheap, i would also get this painted to a colour i wanted

getting a cheap shell is fine but getting it painted could easily eat up 1000/2000 of you budget before you start really.

3k for an engine transplant/donor car etc is fine but paint is very costly

geesus
14-01-2008, 16:54
as said a full respray is gonna hurt your budget

are you wanting the car to be mint? just a bit of a weekend toy?

in which case i think 3k is doable

if your wanting it to be a track car and get some abuse then this is where my budget took a beating lol stuff like upgrading discs and pads to get some hammer, upgrading arb bushes, coilovers, buckets, harnesses, tyres....the list goes on

looking at how much i paid for the car, and then the engine/gearbox etc i could have had a working F4R coverted valver for 1.5k ish i reckon

but it wouldnt have lasted 2 mins on track (the engine would, just the rest of the car would fail around it lol)

freebone16v
15-01-2008, 14:40
i would want the car to be mint yes, same as my old valver really, mint but got used regularly, i know someone who is a sprayer but i am not sure how much he would charge, something i have got to look into.

deffo don't want a standard williams hybrid conversion, it needs to be something a bit special if i come back to mark 1 ownership, either highly tuned, a turbo or a 172 conversion

Lunner
15-01-2008, 14:57
Well if you want something special then don't do a 172 engine.

How about a VAG 20v T??

Or turbo a hybrid

freebone16v
16-01-2008, 10:47
lunner a turbo hybrid engine or a VAG setup would set me back mega bucks, something that i have already stated i don't want to happen