PDA

View Full Version : Excessive tapping

griffo20022
14-01-2008, 03:58
Hi all, this is my first post, I found this site via google, while looking up noisy tappets on F7P's. I've used the search button and found a fair few helpful hints etc although all the threads i've read engines are only tapping for max 2mins or so?

Well, mine seems to be tappy for about 5mins from cold starting! :shock: surely that's a cause for concern? I serviced the car last weekend and used a genuine renault filter and 15/40W semi synthetic oil. After this the tap was louder than before, which I can understand as the new oil would tend to be thicker when cold. My initial thoughts are that maybe the oil pump or somewhere is clogged? I haven't actually done anything yet although I will be during the course of this week, i'll be taking the sump off and cleaning it out along with the oil pump, if that doesn't make things better i'll look in the head, clean out the tappets etc.

I haven't got an oil pressure gauge to check the pressure, not sure if MK1 clios have them, the engines in a Volvo 340 you see, which I use for drifting.

I know it's a 1.8 16V engine and not a Willys lump so apologise if it shouldn't be discussed on here

Crossers
14-01-2008, 04:19
You just need to replace the tappets, thats the best thing to do. You can mess about with putting additives in your oil, but ultimately if you just replace them it makes life easier!

They're about £55 from e-bay.

Paul

number1
14-01-2008, 10:47
Hey bud, is that one of the volvo's that was in pfc not so long ago? i honestly thought about doing it myself! class!

Dave

mossyv6
14-01-2008, 11:17
Drop some Wynns oil additive in, this should help :D

MAXIBOY
14-01-2008, 13:09
your most welcome mate....

two things...get another sump and have it baffled if your drifting to stop oil surge...and fit an oil gauge as you can use the clio items without much hassle and cost and while there not great there better than nothing..

griffo20022
14-01-2008, 17:52
Thanks guys, do you reckon the Wynns additive will really make such a noticable difference from the long amount of tapping? I suppose it's easier to try before getting the sump off etc lol!

Has anybody on here had their sumps baffled in the past and what sor of figures do they quote for such a job? It has been something i've contemplated alot. Same with the oil pressure gauge, it's a defo on my soon to come list! Probs just end up getting an aftermarket jobby!

Number1: It's not one of the ones from PPC no although I know which ones you mean, I sometimes talk to the guy (Adam) who owns the blue one, been meaning to meet up with him sometime soon!

MAXIBOY
14-01-2008, 18:18
http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e15/123maxiboy/DSCF0893.jpg

had mine done then found a picture of a works item..

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e15/123maxiboy/84bcad97.jpg

hope that helps. mine cost 30quid to have welded

Crossers
14-01-2008, 18:25
Try the lifter oil first by all means, but it don't work for very long i found. paul

Allan
14-01-2008, 21:23
i whacked the wynns top end treatment in my valver, and it was quieter for about 1000 miles (sold it now do dont know if it lasted), but mine was only tapping for about 5 or 6 seconds right at a cold start so might not be as good if the engine is worn more, but for £5 its worth a try :D

griffo20022
14-01-2008, 21:43
True, well paydays not a million miles away, i'm gonna try some of the wynns stuff and still give the oil pump/sump cleaning a go, if it's no better then when I get paid i'll buy me a new set of tappets and do it properly :)

The cars my daily driver but also gets driven hard when at event's etc so theres no point beating round the bush I guess :)

Wobba
15-01-2008, 10:42
I did a filter and oil change just before Xmas and it was noisy for about 5 mins at startup too. I gave the car a series of hard runs and it went away. I think it took a week or so to get the oil properly circulated, but a couple of long, hard runs seemed to cure it!

Shame I blew the Headgasket the otehr day :(

BristolSam16v
15-01-2008, 15:48
Have a read through this:

http://www.retro-renault.com/forums/engine-mechanical/27-16v-hydraulic-tappets.html

quite useful.

griffo20022
15-01-2008, 18:09
Have a read through this:

http://www.retro-renault.com/forums/engine-mechanical/27-16v-hydraulic-tappets.html

quite useful.

That's a seriously interesting thread! If it can save me £50 then hell yer lol!

I started the car after work today which after 8 hours it usually taps for the 5 minutes but today it didn't, gonna take it to work again in the morning and see if the taps still there or not.

griffo20022
17-01-2008, 18:49
Well I gave the car some Wynns hydraulic valve treatment last night and used the car today with basically the same results, tappets must be f*cked! The treatment has quietened them down very slightly but the taps still there for pretty much the same length of time :(

Do you reckon i'd be better off buying a second hand head? New tappets or *IF* I could afford it a second hand williams head? Do williams heads fit straight on and everything bolts upto them exactly the same as the "P" heads do or is there work involved? Would there also be any performance gain fitting a willys head?

Ta' guys :)

BristolSam16v
18-01-2008, 03:30
Easiest option is either taking out your tappets and trying to clean them out, or buying new ones, seen them on ebay for £55.

Otherwise you have to faf about with taking the head off/cambelt/new bolts etc.

MAXIBOY
18-01-2008, 03:35
not any real performance gains fitting a willy head without flowing and cams..