PDA

View Full Version : Handbrake

donsrno1
13-01-2008, 17:48
The handbrake on the hybrid has always been pretty crap so I need to sort it for the MOT.

I was doing the torsion bar earlier so thought I may as well have a look and foung that when you pull the handbrake lever inside the car the cable on the caliper does move and pull the lever on the caliper up, however it makes near enough no difference in how easy it is to turn the disc. However, if you apply the footbrake then the brake will lock on and you can not move the disc at all. I also tried moving the handbrake lever (where the cable end goes through and pulls) using pliers but even if I move it more that the cable did then there is still very little done and you can turn the disc easily enough.

So what i was wondering is from this does it suggest that by fitting a new cable and adjusting the handbrake it should work ok or can the mechanism that the cable pulls on fail and could it need a new caliper even though it works fine using the foot brake?

Thanks.

MAXIBOY
13-01-2008, 19:08
sounds like the handbrake mech on the caliper mate.... :cry:

donsrno1
13-01-2008, 19:50
I'm guessing this may be a fairly common problem but just incase it helps anyone else I got the following reply from Chris H on retro renault and tbh he's pretty much always right, lol:

http://www.retro-renault.com/forums/tech-questions/4373-handbrake-problems.html#post47221

BristolSam16v
14-01-2008, 16:16
Had this on one of my calipers, stripped the handbrake mechnanism down as far as I could without taking the piston out, re-greased/re-assembled with parts from a different working caliper, still didn't work :( in the end just bought a new caliper for £50.