PDA

View Full Version : Sunroof

DaveH
11-01-2008, 20:41
I thought for a while that my clio was the only one without a leaky sunroof but i think that put a hex on me because its started. . . bigtime!

Ive heard of this fault many times but never had to deal with it- it fills the electric sunroof surround with water and then drips out around bends- is this the usual problem? If so what is the fix?

Cheers

number1
11-01-2008, 21:01
A Tube of Silicone Sealant.... Ive given up trying to get mine to stay sealed,
I think reno wanted to save people time by giving them a shower in the morning on the way to work!

MAXIBOY
11-01-2008, 22:53
you sure its not the aerial hole....thats leaking. if not you need to work out if its the sunroof seal or coming in between the roof skin and sunroof

titcharoony
12-01-2008, 11:02
Im still looking for a proper sunroof fitter to come have a look at mine. not going to attempt it myself, will only mess it up. By the way, if my sunroof motor were to go, and the sunroof were to not have closed properly, would that be a possibility? Because it did stop working half open once, and I had to help it as much as I could back to closed. Defo still in trouble as it whistles as higher speeds.
Its a bit chicken and egg, did the sunroof start leaking and damage the motor, or did the motor go - hold the sunroof open and start leaking? I do have a spare sunroof motor now, would it be best to replace that, and see if it closes properly?

Bailey_1260
12-01-2008, 11:14
not going to hurt to try, and once the centre console is out you should be able to see where the leak is coming from.

titcharoony
12-01-2008, 11:51
ahh cool. I'll follow good ol' haynes and see what happens. :) needs to get sorted though. hell its difficult to get a sunroof fitter though. Im sure years ago there were loads.

Andyvalver
12-01-2008, 12:19
If its filing the interior light its probably the ariel. Just pop the center out with a screw driver and somewhere in there is an 8mm or 10mm nut what holds the ariel. I filled my ariel base with sealant and then re fitted it. Ive just done it to the megane too as that started leaking due to the bad rain we have had.

titcharoony
12-01-2008, 12:26
will the whole centre console come out with a screwdriver pry? or just the intereior light cover. It seems to have stopped leaking for the mean time, but has leaked from the intereior light cover (that lil cover that pops off with the infrared sensor), and the general centre console. Its even leaked from the bottom left side of dash by the fuse box. god knows how it got there. down the a pillar i guess.

Daz.
12-01-2008, 12:58
take the light out, unclip the board and let the sensor dangle then you can see the aerial base and check for any water sloshing and water marks on the headlining.

Bailey_1260
12-01-2008, 12:58
the 3 sections pop out (sensor, buton and light panel) then pop out the light unit there are 3 screws behind them holding the console in place.

titcharoony
12-01-2008, 13:22
ok thanku guys ill give it a go

Bailey_1260
12-01-2008, 15:11
Just done mine according to northys guide.

must be 1 on the scale of difficuly. first time iv gone out said see you in half an hour and been back in that time lol. arial was fine on mine was the 2 rubber cups and roof seal gone.

Hopefully my seats can dry out now :P

titcharoony
12-01-2008, 15:30
that guide looks like it takes ages because you have to take so many things off. But first things first, Ill remove the cntre console, and see where its leaking from and go from there. no more wet pants for me!
my ex wasnt so sure about the new clio, despite knowing nothing about cars. she much preferred the r5, as it 'rattled and creaked'. Think the clio was perhaps a bit too modern for her (yes, really). At that time it had zero faults. When it pissed water on her from the centre console for the first time, she was pissed off then she smiled and laughed. 'What are u laughing for?; I asked. her reply was: 'this car truely is a Renault now.' From then 'claudia' was her new favourite. 'Birds':Discuss.

BRUN
12-01-2008, 19:22
the Clio II's are becoming just as bad

Bailey_1260
12-01-2008, 20:54
that guide looks like it takes ages because you have to take so many things off.

True, wanst too hard for me because its stripped anyway.

:P

DaveH
14-01-2008, 22:21
Well i had a look at it over the weekend and its definately not coming through the aerial as all of the moisture was the other side of the welded seam on the roof- so that to my mind leaves either the actual glass seal or the one between the surround trim and the roof itself (that one looks like a nightmare to do!)

I pulled the glass seal out and sealed it with sealing cord (we use at work) and dried it off- there was loads of water around the black inner sunroof surround that bolts on from inside. I left the console out to monitor and so far so good but it could really do with both new seals.

Do you have to remove the roof lining to get the full unit out? Sorry cant view guides anymore!

Clio-Girl
15-01-2008, 11:14
im feeling your pain mate my whole car is soaking wet and i look like a drowned rat when i get to work in the morning, its like a waterfall when i go round a bend or touch the brakes!

white16valver
15-01-2008, 15:26
Mine was literally gushing down the A pillers today, just before absolutely drenching me.... :evil: :roll: :lol:

bloody thing lol

Bailey_1260
15-01-2008, 21:26
Mines drying nicely! :D

TBH one of the easiest fixes iv had to do.

davem
15-01-2008, 22:21
I had this problem!
I fixed it! And at the same time saved some weight by removing it completely and riveting in a nice sheet of metal instead! Problem solved!

Not too difficult a job to do but worth doing as the sensor for the immobiliser will fill up with water than stop working at the worst possible moment!
Hardest bit i found was getting the headlining out intact.

Bailey_1260
15-01-2008, 22:38
I had this problem!
I fixed it! And at the same time saved some weight by removing it completely and riveting in a nice sheet of metal instead! Problem solved!

Not too difficult a job to do but worth doing as the sensor for the immobiliser will fill up with water than stop working at the worst possible moment!
Hardest bit i found was getting the headlining out intact.

Mine came out in 11 easy to handle sections?! :P

white16valver
16-01-2008, 12:23
I wanna take all the gubbins out then stick a carbon roof shell on top and a non-sunroof headlining inside - won't happen though :(

Clio-Girl
16-01-2008, 12:29
has anyone got any pics of a car with a sunroof removed? id be interested to see what it looks like

seanofnp
16-01-2008, 13:02
I got in the clio last night and had a nice puddle on the floor next to me.

Fun.

DaveH
16-01-2008, 15:14
Well i thought it was going well until today and its still leaking so i guess its not the glass seal either.

Cant see the guides so am i (very basically) right about how to remove the sunroof surround- remove the roof lining, remove internal black frame (held on by 10mm bolts iirc and then remove the top surround?

On another note i was in renault today and priced these up- that flimsy little glass seal is £95 :shock: and the seal that i think is leaking is the foam strip with sticky side that fits to the roof skin is £39 :shock: so i think i'll be using my own sealant!