PDA

View Full Version : Steering problems

willsoneforsure
10-01-2008, 18:29
Hi guys,
I have recently started to drive my williams one (GAVE IT TO MY BRO) and when I turn the steering wheel when moving forward the car jolts badly. The steering is fine at high speed on a straight line. I got a mechanic to look it over and he could see no problems, bushes etc ok. I have had this car for nearly 10 years and I know myself that the steering rack or whatever is not functioning as it should.

Any advise would be greatfully appreciated.

drsmith1979
10-01-2008, 18:38
sounds like it needs welding, do a search for welding steering rack and have a mooch, its a very common problem

willsoneforsure
10-01-2008, 19:11
Right there were no links I could see. The steering judders violently when i turn the wheel left or right. Is it the steering rack.

drsmith1979
10-01-2008, 19:20
is the steering precise? as in it turns when the wheel turns but has judders? if the response is 'slack' then there is a plastic bush or collar on the steering rack that goes, the choice is a new refurbed rack or have the original one welded. If its precise but juddery could be bearings or even buckled wheels, has your bro been caining it ;)

richy
10-01-2008, 19:30
it might be worth checking the gearbox mounting, ive had one snap before and when driving in a straight line it was ok but as soon as you turned aswell as driving it would try forcing the n/s driveshaft into the diff because of the dodgy angle its sat at and ended up with a damaged driveshaft end bearing etc, had to replace that and diff cup, gearbox mountings etc