PDA

View Full Version : My CAM belt just snapped on my Valver.......

jimflin
10-01-2008, 01:58
Hi there

I’ve just got back home from being towed from the AA. (I gotta say they were fast getting there, less than 15 mins) However, it is clear that the CAM belt has gone.. I'm expecting most the valves to be gone and significant damage to the pistons too.

Has this happened to anyone else’s Valver? What would i be looking at to get it fixed back up, i don't have the time to do it myself unfortunately. So I’m curious what people here have had to pay, so i know what garages are taking the piss if not all of them.

Would it even be worth looking around for a replacement engine to get dropped in instead or is that going to cost the same with the extra hassle of locating one?

Also can anyone recommend a garage in the Camberley, Farnborough Aldershot area that they might have had any luck with?. Every garage I have been to locally in the past there has been something with the work that has put me off ever going back to them.

Any help would be much Appreciated..

Thanks..

Daz.
10-01-2008, 07:33
As its a P I'd hazard it would be cheaper to source another engine unless yours is very low mileage and your attatched to that particular one!

MicKPM
10-01-2008, 10:04
Damage will most likely be bent valves. Worse case you're looking at valves plus holed piston(s), damage valve guides and bruised crank bearings but this is worse case but you'll not really know until the head is off which isn't gonna cost you anything to do.

To DIY fix it you're gonna be looking for at least:

£90 for a new genuine timing belt kit from Renault (£55 for an aftermarket ContiTech kit)
£40ish for a head gasket set
£130ish for a decent head rebuild and replace bent valves.

If you were around Notts i'd give you a hand do it cos it's about a two day job to remove the head, get it rebuilt and refit. (Assuming parts are in stock of course)

Mick

geesus
10-01-2008, 10:05
the valver i bought had a snapped cambelt

bent 4 valves and damaged 2 piston crowns, although you can never truly tell whats happened in there until you get the head off

MicKPM
10-01-2008, 10:08
Doh, no edit button!

Sourcing a new engine would be cheaper but who's to say the same won't happen 10, 100, 1000 miles up the road? Some say "better the devil you know" ;)

Allan
10-01-2008, 11:29
well you can pick up valver engines from £50 notes running, so really depends on how quickly you need the car up and running, day to fit it and make sure you do the cambelt before the new one goes back in, maybe even the water pump and cutch if you have it all out...

Bailey_1260
10-01-2008, 12:20
Id go new engine mate, they are cheap enough also can do the belts, waterpump (maybee clutch) all at the same time then at least you can be confident tat it shouldnt happen again

1995clio16v
10-01-2008, 15:06
it shouldnt happen again

:shock: :shock:

These are renaults Bailey!! lol! :shock:

MicKPM
10-01-2008, 15:55
If you go for a full engine let me know how much you want for the dead one cos i'll give you scrap value for it just so I can slag up my 1.2 for FCS ;)

Bailey_1260
10-01-2008, 17:51
it shouldnt happen again

:shock: :shock:

These are renaults Bailey!! lol! :shock:

hence using the modal verb shouldnt and not wont! :P

MatBrown
10-01-2008, 18:44
Doh, no edit button!

Sourcing a new engine would be cheaper but who's to say the same won't happen 10, 100, 1000 miles up the road? Some say "better the devil you know" ;)

Erm, you would change the belt when fitting surely!

Mat.

MatBrown
10-01-2008, 18:45
I have an engine available.

Mat.