PDA

View Full Version : running hot

Allan
09-01-2008, 00:10
Having a bit of a weird issue, the valver is running hot, i have only done about 300 miles of owning it but notice that its nothing like my williams...

from cold i start driving it it will warm up to the notch where the thermostat kicks in and then drop back down, however it wont stay at the 2nd notch, it will just keep going all the way till the notch where the fan kicks in will drop down a bit and keep doing that.
Im not sure if its the fan kicking in or the thermostat, but i couldnt hear the fan kicking in.

I have flushed the system and blead it, the radiator doesnt appear to be blocked as loads of water was pooring through the system when i put a hose pipe in it....

i didnt give the car a full flush i just basilcy left the bleed valve out and put a hose pipe through it for about 30 mins, then topped up with some brand new coolant.

Im wondering what else it could be, williams will sit in the same place until you hit traffic, but while moving its fine and this was the same with my last valver too...

The other thing i noticed was that when driving at a constat 60 for around an hour the dial didnt move it was at the point just before where the fan should kick in but not quite there.

MAXIBOY
09-01-2008, 00:24
difficult to say as it sounds like the thermostat opens and it cools as it should. could be a faulty gauge temp switch etc.
need to get a better idea of what happening. is the fan cutting in..or just the thermostat maybe sticking etc. difficult to say really

Allan
09-01-2008, 00:47
well i know if i leave it running, the engine will heat up the fan kicks in and its all fine, but not sure if its the extra body kit on the car which is causing the problem or if the engine just has a sticky thermostat...

MAXIBOY
09-01-2008, 01:57
its not the kit....

Purple
09-01-2008, 02:02
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h18/ppsun/watertemp.jpg
If you a have standard fan switch, it should activate on the big notch above the needle. Should only happen often in summer temperatures. If you have a low-temperature fan switch, if should activate on the big notch below the needle. To identify which you have, look at the side of the fan switch. The standard should read something like 92/83, whereas the low-temp fan switch should read something like 86/78.

Purple
09-01-2008, 02:06
Just read your post again, I think the thermostat opens once the water is warmed up and does not close up until the engine is switched off and cooled. Are you referring mostly to the fan cutting in?

titcharoony
09-01-2008, 11:01
I have a low temp thermo n fan switch on my williams, and for the most part my needle sits exactly where it does on the above photo. And always cuts in just before the notch ABOVE where its sitting now.
As for advice, buying a low temp thermostat is perhaps worth a try? Might be not opening right

Allan
24-01-2008, 01:10
well on my williams the needly will sit below where it is on that picture.... on the big notch below and wont move until you are in traffic or really thashing it

The valver will sit 1 small bar below the top notch and just sit there even when you are driving along at 70 with no load, and some times it will drop down to the lower notch but will rise right back up.

Like i say i haven't driven it much im currently putting all new mountings in for lights and stuff and wiring up all the new lights

Allan
24-01-2008, 01:19
when i say top notch, i mean the notch where the fan kicks in..

so if i leave it to heat up when it gets to that point the fan kicks in that is all working fine, but when driving it should sit about the same place as that pic my other valver and williams both do that, but this one sits 1 small notch below where the fan kicks in...

im tempted to take the gagues out of my other car and put them in to check, else maybe its the water pump gone:S

Purple
24-01-2008, 06:04
The valver will sit 1 small bar below the top notch and just sit there even when you are driving along at 70 with no load, and some times it will drop down to the lower notch but will rise right back up
That's perfectly fine for summer running. But am not sure if it should be doing this for the colder weather you are having now though. Maybe just flush the system and renew the coolant before summer arrives, just to be safe.

Allan
24-01-2008, 12:23
have just done that, and its still the same its done about 3 miles on new coolant, i really need to get it running more, i do suspsect the water pump could be gone or on its way out.

But then i have only driven it about 2 times since before christmas, so its not doing many miles