PDA

View Full Version : Anti car ding techniques?

Wobba
07-01-2008, 10:18
I have recently acquired several dings and paint scuffs, including TWO from yesterday in the McDonalds car park whilst with other WC members.

I have to park in a car park at work where ther are people frequently moving their cars, but it's not too bad here, it's mainly at other places with dozy fat women who are generally screeching at their kids and blissfully ignorant of the damage caused to the hundreds of cars they slam their husbands passenger door into.

Other than fitting bollards to the side of the car or straddling two bays, is there a tactic you guys use to minimise car park dings, or are you now resigned to these incidents as part of life?

white16valver
07-01-2008, 10:29
Park as far away from the entrance as possible. (People are lazy and will take all the spaces nearer before resigning themselves to having to walk.)

Park on the end of the row and right up to the kerb, leaving room for people to open the door and get in. (I have wondered if this risks bigger dings if people just swing the door open rather than squeezing in and only gently touching your car?)

Park either reversed in and right up to the kerb at the back of the bay, so your plastic front wings are in the door-opening area and the rest of the bodywork is too far back for doors to open on to, or frontwards in and with your rear sticking out of the bay slightly to get the same effect. (and preferably on the end of a row, as above!)

TriO`
07-01-2008, 11:21
pain in the arse isn't it!! you could...

try not to park next to big people carriers or other family cars that are bound to have millions of kids jumping in and out swinging their doors carelessly into your pride and joy!!

If you have to squeeze in between two other cars try to find a space where their passenger sides face you in the hope that they are on their own and get in the other side!! ie. no dents!!!

If this happens you can park a bit diagonally too so that if your plan fails and there are passingers... there might be a bit more room where they open the door!!!!

like this masterpeice was aimed to show lol:

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/593/cliohp5.jpg

failing all of the points above you could always just park over two bays :wink: :D

TriO`

number1
07-01-2008, 13:15
Park in an empty trolley bay and climb out the boot, problem solved... lol

i used to work in an asda store and had a place where i parked in the mornings, The bays with a green strip around the outside are Where colleagues are told to park by management so if you park in there somewhere chances are it'll be between two workers cars and they wont be back for sometime

Dave

seanofnp
07-01-2008, 13:19
Walk to the shops.

Wobba
07-01-2008, 13:29
http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/593/cliohp5.jpg

This picture rules.

Good advice here lads, except you Sean, you just plain suck :lol:

I personally don't walk to the shops as I live in town and driving is a bitch.

I do generally try and park next to cars that have clearly been abandoned, probably WC members clios :D

I have seen some weird cushion-like bollards you can get...like littel round pillars. Looks daft and some chav would probably nik them as they arn't bolted to the floor :(

Wobba
07-01-2008, 13:30
what I meant to say is: I DO walk to the shops.

titcharoony
07-01-2008, 13:42
if im in a multistorey car park i make sure i park next to a pillar. this has dangers in itself, but at least ur protected on one side. i also park as far forward in the space as I can. that way when people swing their car into the space next to u, you've less of a chance of being hit on a rear corner...just lil things....

Daz.
07-01-2008, 15:24
I park so far away from everyone else its unreal!

I have to usually pay for 2 hours on a car park even if I'm only going to be an hour - the other is for getting back to the car :lol:

Daz.
07-01-2008, 15:26
I also look to see if I can see other enthusiast cars - you can tell if someone really looks after their car no matter what it is - I'd never park inbetween two mucky mondeos for example as theres a good chance they're rentals/company and fat man dam behind the wheel won't give a toss..

titcharoony
07-01-2008, 15:33
yup good idea that last one. even if u park next to a chavvy boyracer in a done up corsa, at least he'll have some respec' ( ;) ) for the williams, and will be aware of it wen reversing or what have you.
i also park miles away from everyone else. :) theres a place near my house in surrey in a multistorey, ive discovered a van thats permanently parked in a spot, never moves, ever. i hide behind that. :)

1fast6
07-01-2008, 16:41
Avoid the mad rush of multi story weekend shopping if possible.

My only door dent was caused in a multi story car park on saturday morning. I deliberately parked next to two half decent cars in the hope that they would be careful about opening their doors. Come back to find one of them gone and a chaved up corsa parked next to the hybrid along with a decent sized door dent in the passenger door.

Moral of the story: you cannot help who parks next to you after you leave.

Daz.
07-01-2008, 17:55
^^^ This is true - tell you what though if anyone ever left a bad mark on mine and was still parked there they'd have deffo wished they hadn't!

doug2.0
07-01-2008, 18:07
i try park as far way from everyone else, only drawback is, is that if your so far from other people and the entrance , thieves etc have a better chance of having a go at your car.
also say if your in a multi story i park at the end of the row and make my passenger get out first so i can get it as tight to the wall as possible.

i also look at the cars im parking next to is it a 3 door or a 5 door? as 3 door cars have a bigger door. none of it really matters if the car moves and another one replaces it but its something to think about.
you could go to the extreme of looking when there ticket runs out so you know if theyll be going anytime soon.

once someone dented the door of my old RT really badly, pretty much creased it! god knows how. it was a red fiesta that was still there with green down the edge of the drivers door, needless to say i pushed the panel in with my foot lol

ae
07-01-2008, 18:52
I had a proximity sensor on my Williams and that would go off if you stood next to it. It was always funny when someone would say sorry when they got out there car because they thought they had hit mine 8) Used to chirp 3 times at them. Also very good at keeping bloody cats/ birds off the car although I won't be responsible if they got ran over after it went off :lol:

Andrew

Lunner
07-01-2008, 19:56
I just abandon mine anywhere, thats what bump strips are for, to avoid dents

Laine_16v
07-01-2008, 19:57
Until you get a dent on the rear quarter....like me. Ruins the whole side of the car, annoys the fook outa me.

white16valver
07-01-2008, 20:19
knowsit.

The only plus point is white isn't so noticeable, but I know it's there... :x

doug2.0
07-01-2008, 20:22
yeah but the bump strips on clios never seem to work and instead you end up with the side of the car where the bend is just below the windows littered with dents.

1fast6
07-01-2008, 21:00
I just abandon mine anywhere, thats what bump strips are for, to avoid dents

Yeah, but this is about other people denting the car...

Lunner
07-01-2008, 21:05
:?

how was my post not relavent to that

Tommo
10-01-2008, 13:53
I park anywhere, got a mate who works for Dentman who can get any dings out if it happens....