PDA

View Full Version : steering problems

scotte666
08-06-2005, 22:30
i was chasing my mates leon cupra round a few b roads earlier. i was staying with him but my steering just doesnt feel as solid as i think it should was even slowing down for some corners as i wasnt to sure of it..i have had a feeling for a while that it doesnt feel as tight as it should.when i had the column welded it felt great but gradually i dont feel as confident in it again.its a willy 3 on 65k.had column welded as far as i know its never had any ball joints/track rod ends replced(im not sure as i dont have a recept in a mssive folder i have)tyres were on 30 psi and were pirrelli p6000's(i know they r not great).it wasnt a very good surface btw was a bit bumpy and rough.any1 got any suggestions its recently had a serice and mot and no wear in anything was found ....or is it me just being paranoid?

Jabba the...
08-06-2005, 22:42
new rack? does it take a bit before it starts turning?

Daz
08-06-2005, 22:53
Mine was the same - felt like it could put you in the ditch for no reason.

New steering column - awesome. Tight as anything.

I could turn my wheel about 2cm either way from centre with no wheel movement.. now moves with 1mm of movement!

If yours has been welded, then it might be rack.. or weld broke, or a bad weld or not welded at all, heh.

KingStromba
08-06-2005, 22:57
Track rod replacement helped mine amazingly.

scotte666
08-06-2005, 23:17
tbh the weld didnt look great but i pretty sure its doing the job as i was turning the wheels while looking at the column and it seemed good.pretty sure its not the rack as the guy said he checked and it was fine.sometimes i think its fine other days i dont.not sure if its in my head, it was a fairly bad bumpy road.no1 has picked up on wear during services and mot which makes methink i might be paranoid,it just feels like it turns 2 easy if u know what i mean like its not gripping the road at all.tread on tyres is good.i dont mind getting things fixed but im pretty skint at the moment so cant afford to throw money at it changing things that dont need doing

scotte666
08-06-2005, 23:19
wheels turn as soon as u turn the wheel...

KingStromba
08-06-2005, 23:28
Remeber you have shit tyres too. P6000 are very bad for tramlining, especially as they are wearing out.

scotte666
09-06-2005, 00:30
i know my tyrs r shit and i want eagle f1's when i got some more money :).any1 else got any other suggestions?how long would u typically expext ball joints/track rod ends to last?

KingStromba
09-06-2005, 01:19
Theyll both be worn i suggest.

Purple
09-06-2005, 01:24
A Williams should be in its elements in bumpy sweeping corners. Rotate the tyres and put a bit more air into front tyres to improve the road feel and turn in (sometime like 32F/29R)

But if car itself is being thrown off line in bumpy corners, you should check the shocks, bushes and tyres. Might be time to get new ones.

Mark_Ritchspeed
09-06-2005, 09:07
Could be something as simple as tracking if everything is still tight.

scotte666
09-06-2005, 16:51
tracking was done not long ago then checked few weeks after and was still spot on.i dont know if its just me being paranoid shame know 1 klives near me who could drive it see what they think. should the car have any body roll?the car just doesnt seem as good as when i first got it /(prob have just got used to it)i feel on the flat roads good surfaces i feel comfortable but as soon as the road isnt great ie bumps etc.... just doesnt feel as stable.

scotte666
09-06-2005, 17:35
anyway i can check for worn shocks?bushes or track rod ends?

KingStromba
09-06-2005, 17:38
Illl msn convo with you tonight about stuff to check.

scotte666
09-06-2005, 17:51
also forgot to ask will the handling be affected by carrying a heavy weight in the back.im using my car for work at the mo so got all my work tools in the boot must weigh 30/40kgs will this affect it. i know when i drive without boot full car seems much quicker and nicer 2 drive but cant really remember if i still get the problems i have. just wanna know if that much weight in the back will affect anything ?