PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded battery light flicker - earth?

white16valver
31-12-2007, 16:32
Well, I've done a search on this and have determined that it's either the alternator dying :roll: or it's a dodgy earth, perhaps the big one that goes from the battery tray to the gearbox.

Would it be fair to say that it's more likely to be earth issues though?

Symptoms are as follows:
Light isn't filckering all the time
Generally isn't on at idle when it is flickering
Flicker is intermittent, weak and then stronger at times - at times cutting the ignition while driving so it's stuttering (this is the main thing that makes me think it's the earth)

If it is earth, is there a guide to where they all are? I don't fancy tracing all the wires round the nightmare of an engine bay :? lol

Thank you all very much in advance for any help! :D

cliopete
31-12-2007, 16:43
I have exactly the same problem with mine at the moment, except for the cutting out bit. I assumed it was the alternator on it's last legs but it's been going on for a couple of weeks now and car has always started first time. Haven't had the chance to do a battery voltage test but if it's the alternator on the bilnk a batt. voltage test will show this.

Lunner
31-12-2007, 17:26
Had exactly the same problem, put a proper connector on the earth wire and cleaned the battery terminal and it was spot on then

white16valver
31-12-2007, 19:01
Cool, glad I'm not suffering alone lol

Driven it today and it's been fine :roll: :lol:

Battery connections look solid but will probably take them off and clean them to make sure. I'll also blag an multimeter off my brother and check the battery voltage!

Cheers all :)

Any more suggestions gratefully received! lol

katbloke
31-12-2007, 20:12
voltmeter, check the battery should be 12+ volts and charging rate 14+volts

BRUN
01-01-2008, 23:46
could also be a little wire on the alternator

white16valver
02-01-2008, 13:46
I did get my hand in and feel round the alternator but couldn't find anything that seemed loose - the fat wire that goes in from the passenger side was on nice and firmly and the other little wire that loops round seems ok too.

Drove it again yesterday and this morning and it's still being fine :roll:

Bloody thing LoL