PDA

View Full Version : just done a mini service.. oil fil advice please.. Urgent!

drsmith1979
30-12-2007, 16:32
hi guys,

given the willy a mini service today, plugs, oil, oil filter and sump washer etc... runs great! just a quick question, i filled it up with the car level until it was just prior to the max indicator on the dipstick... i then checked the ignition dial indicator and it showed a tad above max. i ran the car static without reving to let the oil circulate and then checked the level on the dial indicator, it had dropped to 3/4's im presuming as it has now primed the system and some will remain in the engine/oil filter, my question is do i top up again till its maxed out? or do i leave it?

speedy response appreciated

David

stan
30-12-2007, 16:34
top it back up to max mate.

drsmith1979
30-12-2007, 16:35
lovely jubbly... cheers stan... was just worried about over filling etc... whats the volume difference between the min and max on the dipstick?

got the bonnet fitted already, looking good! got some pins ordered and will pick up a torx40 drive bit in the week and hopefully get all the panels swapped over 8)

stan
30-12-2007, 17:25
good stuff!

difference is just under a litre i think.

drsmith1979
30-12-2007, 17:30
all topped up and just under the max so that will do for a few days and will keep an eye on it... have to say, the filter removal was easier than expected, was just over hand tight, so a filter strap had it off in seconds! think i need a new sump plug as the square hole is showing signs of being slightly rounded.. so one will be ordered along with door pins and spark plug cover screws!

coming along nicely!

one question though, how does the rear tailgate electrics attach to the car? is it a plug inside the rubber seal, cant quite see how its supposed to go etc...

MAXIBOY
30-12-2007, 17:35
think they plug in the rear drivers side arch after running down from just inside the roof area.

drsmith1979
30-12-2007, 18:00
slightly confused... there is a rubber seal/join on the roof of the shell that goes into the tailgate, isnt there a plug in there? seems a bit of a hassle to have to run it all the way inside the rear quarter/arch etc...

richy
30-12-2007, 18:20
no the wiring just runs through that rubber joint, the plug is behind the o/s/r 1/4 trim panel as maxi said

drsmith1979
30-12-2007, 18:22
ahhh ok, the new tailgate i have got has the wiring in its frame, but not sure it its simply been cut to take off, if it has been cut how hard is it to swap it all over?

richy
30-12-2007, 18:29
not hard at all mate, i recently had mine out to get rid of some wiring, best thing to do if you fitting your tailgate loom is use some wiring or string etc to tie to it, feed that down the tailgate and use that to pull the loom through carefully.

drsmith1979
30-12-2007, 18:46
lovely jubbly will have a go at it when i get an extra pair of hands ;)

BRUN
30-12-2007, 19:57
use the dipstick mate, ignore the dial in the car, when mine gets half way on the dipstick it only shows just under max on the dial, when its on max on the dipstick its a touch over max on the dial

drsmith1979
30-12-2007, 20:17
yeah i cross referrenced the 2 to get an overall level... car feels alot smoother and the oil in the sump is a gorgeous goldy colour! got a great deal on my oil too! 20 litres! ;o)

just got the coolant flush to do then its all done for while!

although after reading that someone had water pump problems after a coolant flush im a little aprehensive!

Yanoo_
30-12-2007, 20:57
My dial always shows different values at different temperatures. :) When the oil cold and is on the max on the dipstick the dial shows correct value but if it's warm the dial shows about 3/4. :(
Always use the dipstick not the dial! When you are changing oil, first top the oil level on the dipstick (approx. 5.3l on F7R for the first run). Start the engine, let to circulate the oil for few minutes and stop the car. Check leake at the filter and the sump bolt. Top the oil level again on the dipstick ( approx. 0.2 l for the second run). The oil level difference is caused by the (empty) oil filter.
"Whats the volume difference between the min and max on the dipstick" I guess it's approx. 1 litre on F7P and approx. 2.4 litre on F7R.