PDA

View Full Version : what can i do now?

kundi13
24-12-2007, 16:46
got a mk1 n reg 1996 clio.

some how ive managed to snap my main key when i was locking the boot. so now the other half of the key is in the boot lock. that key also starts the engine . ive taken the boot lock mechanism out to try and get the other half of the key out but its too difficult however can that be done?
will it be possible to take it to locksmith and tell them to make me another key once ive taken the other half out of the mechanism ? if not what can i do then ?

Lunner
24-12-2007, 17:18
You can sometimes cut keys from snapped ones with varying degrees of success, i've had some that have worked and others that haven't.

With it being a car key these are particularly difficult to do, often a copy will work in the doors and not the ignition, or sometimes just one way up.

If you get a decent key cutters you might be lucky.

As for taking the key out, try a small pair of tweezers or a very small screwdriver to lever it out.

Moral of the story is always keep a spare, and if you only get one key with the car, get a copy made and keep the orignal, and use the copy everyday.

Other option is to go to renault and get a new key made up from the number on the ignition barrel/in your handbook

Coops
26-12-2007, 01:32
or source a complete second hand lock set from breaker or scrappy etc and swap the lot over

Matty86
26-12-2007, 03:10
locksmith remove my key from the ignition barrel and cut a new one for £10

Lunner
26-12-2007, 12:09
locksmith remove my key from the ignition barrel and cut a new one for £10

Thats very cheap for a locksmith, when i used to do them a few years ago a car key cost a fiver to cut alone

Matty86
26-12-2007, 14:12
yep, and a fiver to remove (took him all of 6s)