PDA

View Full Version : Emissions RE MOT

JonnyK
24-12-2007, 13:44
I just rang my garage who are having my car MOT'd for today... they have done all the necessary suspension work etc.. but said my car has failed its MOT with my 100% fine cat in place!!

the car has a brand new lambda sensor, no blows in the exhaust and manifold etc.. and apparently it wont pass?!

think he said to my dad his machine didnt like it due to my idle.. (cams). what am i meant to do!? lol

Lunner
24-12-2007, 13:59
Find a friendly garage to re-test it ;)

Make sure the cat is hot when they test it, and you can get addatives for the fuel that are ment to reduce emissions

JonnyK
24-12-2007, 14:04
the cat is hot? as in they need to run the car for a bit round the block?

Robb
24-12-2007, 14:14
Happened to my current car (not a clio) as i do a lot of short runs the cat doesnt have time to warm up, so he put an additive in it and thrashed it abit :lol: which it then passed.

Lunner
24-12-2007, 14:15
Yeah the cat is a catalyst, so it works best when hot, tbh most garages worth their salt will know this and if they are having problems will leave the car running to make sure its nice and hot

number1
27-12-2007, 23:41
Good old beating up the road, 9 times out of ten will sort it, if your cats like mine and only gets used once a year ;)

Dave

Coops
28-12-2007, 03:21
am really hoping mine will pass in new year :oos: only stickin point i can think of is emisions, everything else is new!

Lunner
28-12-2007, 12:45
I have a question about that, coops you're in the same position i am i think.

Car is SORNed, MOT has run out and obviously its not insured, i know you can drive with no MOT to a pre-arranged MOT, but you can't tax it without MOT, so how do you get it to be MOTed....plus i'd like to run it a little first rather than trailer it to the MOT centre

Danlp6
28-12-2007, 12:48
It has to be prebooked and insured.

Lunner
28-12-2007, 13:05
Then you're ok with the no tax thing as well?

geesus
28-12-2007, 13:07
I have a question about that, coops you're in the same position i am i think.

Car is SORNed, MOT has run out and obviously its not insured, i know you can drive with no MOT to a pre-arranged MOT, but you can't tax it without MOT, so how do you get it to be MOTed....plus i'd like to run it a little first rather than trailer it to the MOT centre

same boat as me :roll:

i think im going to have to trailer it to my MOT tester, who is 40 miles away! and then either get the cambelt done there before its MOT, or get the MOT done first, then drive it to rstuning for the cambelt doing risking snappage all the way :shock:

donsrno1
28-12-2007, 16:29
Then you're ok with the no tax thing as well?

Yeah thats the way I understand it. I think its a bit weird though in that it will cover you to the MOT centre but then your not covered for coming back from the MOT whether you have passed or failed.

Which basically means you would need to take it for its MOT, then get it taxed once it passes before you can drive it home, officially anyway.

doug2.0
28-12-2007, 16:47
i was in the same position about 2 weeks ago, (sorned no insurance and no test) i just left the keys with the garage the night before and drove it there at 5 in the morning (its literally 2 minutes down the main road tho) then i went and picked it up late at night. Obviously its totally illegal but i couldnt insure it cos my ncb is tied up till the 1st, and i needed to get it tested.
everything went smoothly and it passed first time, risky tho, dont know how these ppl relax who drive illegally all the time, i was shitting it lol

richy
28-12-2007, 19:08
still has to be taxed iirc, you can drive with no MOT aslong as its booked in and thats were your going, the other thing is its only suppose to be local test station not 20mile away to bodge's R us :lol:

MAXIBOY
28-12-2007, 19:09
still has to be taxed iirc, you can drive with no MOT aslong as its booked in and thats were your going, the other thing is its only suppose to be local test station not 20mile away to bodge's R us :lol:

but you can,t tax it without an m.o.t so that means a trailer by law

richy
28-12-2007, 19:17

but you can,t tax it without an m.o.t so that means a trailer by law

i know thats why i put it still has to be taxed, but can drive with no mot as long as booked

if no tax then yes you cant drive it on the road or even leave it parked up etc on road!

stevie_b
29-12-2007, 09:36
if no tax then yes you cant drive it on the road or even leave it parked up etc on road!

You can drive it to and from the MOT test without tax as long as you have pre-booked the MOT test and have valid insurance for the vehicle.