PDA

View Full Version : Cams my Sad Story (long-ish)

FlamingMonkey
08-06-2005, 10:13
Hello peeps, thought I post up about my cammed Willy experience.

Just to recap I bought Kent RN2002 spec cams from RSM Motorsport, and I then got these fitted locally using standard pulleys and timing.

I got the car back and the idle sounded excellent, but I had trouble keeping the ****er alive, would always want to stall unless the engine was very warm. This is where the fun starts.

Now I had a problem before the cams, where the car would die at junctions when cold every so often say it would happen once in about 3 months, then it sorted itself out and went away, sorted :D

Anyway after getting the cams fitted this problem reappeared and more regular, e.g every time I started the car from cold. I put this down to the old problem reappearing, so I began searching CS and asking people in the know about the common problem, and had a list of things to check/ replace.

So I started...I replaced, the ISCV, Coolant Temp Sensor, Spark Plugs, Throttle body, disconnected the Lambda and still no joy, byt this time I have really lost interest in the car and the problem is annoying me.

With the cams in but timed to standard spec the car initially didn't feel any faster, but after a few miles the car car was noticably faster to me, problem being the car had lost a lot of it's initial carecteristics, the car was a ****in pig to drive, back off the throttle at 3.5k revs in any gear and the car would do kanagroo stylee down the road till I dipped the clutch, the whole driving experience was ruined for me, made driving it really hard work.

Started noticing petrol consumption was greater, I was getting 150ish miles for £30 of juice, I put this down to over enthusiastic driving on my part.

Anyway car went in yesterday to get the Kent Pulleys fitted and timed, got it back about 6last night and went for a spin, car was back to it's normal self, no kangaroo-ing and was back to the original Willy driving experience. Yeee Haaa

The main thing is *touch wood* it seems to have sorted out my stalling problem.

Moral of the story is...Cars are shit heads, ****in cam timing all along, thats what you get when you know **** all like me.

Anyway next step ring the man from Chip Wizards for some remapping goodness.

:D

KingStromba
08-06-2005, 10:18
Did you find it faster post timing? Or did it just relieve the problem of kangarooing?

big hp
08-06-2005, 10:18
Good stuff at least its sorted now.

I'm buying some cams next month but won't fit them until my mate can time them for me straight after i've fitted them. Although i'm tempted by a ss fanimold that strombas organising, so might do the lot then. :wink:

FlamingMonkey
08-06-2005, 10:23
Did you find it faster post timing? Or did it just relieve the problem of kangarooing?

To be honst I *think* it felt a tiny faster before timing, but it's prolly in my mind, as they are timed to the optimum spec Kent recommended yesterday, I would of thought they knew what they were doing so I trust there judgement, but I'm not too sure, but I'd rather the car drove like a car rather than some over the top rally car, was really hard work driving the thing, and I mean hard

J o n
08-06-2005, 10:25
weird, my cams aint timed in and it drinks fuel like a bastard, but it drives as it used to... just much faster in all gears... no kangaroo'ing tho unless it's under 2k... the remap will fix that though...

FlamingMonkey
08-06-2005, 10:26
Good stuff at least its sorted now.

I'm buying some cams next month but won't fit them until my mate can time them for me straight after i've fitted them. Although i'm tempted by a ss fanimold that strombas organising, so might do the lot then. :wink:

I'm tempted by the manifold too before the remap, but I was under the impression it would be a pain in the ass to change come MOT time and putting the Cat back on, summat about brackets Northy mentioned?

J o n
08-06-2005, 10:27
we need to find a friendly MOT place... lol

FlamingMonkey
08-06-2005, 10:28
weird, my cams aint timed in and it drinks fuel like a bastard, but it drives as it used to... just much faster in all gears... no kangaroo'ing tho unless it's under 2k... the remap will fix that though...

You see im not sure if its faster if any, the only cars I've come up against are an MGZR and M3 CSL and I was expected to paste them both as I drive a Willy :P

GazTwo
08-06-2005, 10:29
8) .....Good news then in the end mate, good to see your happy with them.....roll on the Track Day..... :D

J o n
08-06-2005, 10:37
lol

I knew mine was faster as soon as I went in it... then thought, well, i've not driven it for a bit so maybe it's not? I knew it was faster when I first really opened it up and went to the limiter in every gear. 3rd is now much stronger as are 4th and 5th...

In fact 5th gear has impressed me massively, the speed at which the limiter comes round is unreal. I can keep infront of some scooby's and similar to top speed now anyway, which was a bit of a shock... my mates goes past when i run out of revs and gears, so that's good enough for me... well, it's not, I want more power :twisted:

FlamingMonkey
08-06-2005, 10:43
Thats the thing some days my car feels faster than anything on the road and some days its doesn't, weird, I suppose get it remapped and take it from there, if its a slow un, its a slow un, get rid and get summat faster 8)

Andy
08-06-2005, 10:55
glad to here that mate just northy to get through his now

if it goes wrong he will be a pain to live with :roll:

FlamingMonkey
08-06-2005, 10:57
glad to here that mate just northy to get through his now

if it goes wrong he will be a pain to live with :roll:

Nah his will be fine I'm sure 8)

y0z2a
08-06-2005, 11:00

a tiny tiny difference in the cams can lead to totally different characteristics.

I can get 14 different billet camshafts for the williams. some with standard lifters, some with solid lifters, some designed for rally, some for road. All within a few degrees of duration, but totally different detail of drive.

the mapping makes a huge difference, as it will be running lean i imagine at the moment.

/y0z

northy
08-06-2005, 11:02
glad to hear that the verniers have sorted your idling problem....the car was hard to judge if it was quicker when i saw you mate....hard sitting in the passenger seat.

So how much was it to swap to verniers ???

FlamingMonkey
08-06-2005, 11:12
Well it took Carl a full day to time the cams as he's never done this sort of thing before, took him a lot longer than expected, he rang kent got some info about timing, tried doing it but the timing disc kept moving and giving him problems, he rang them again and spoke to a different fella he said nah
I wouldn't do it that way do it this way, the last guys way was easier apprently, anyway I don't know what im on about so i'll shut up.

Cost me 75quid for a days work with 2 mechanics on it..lol

FlamingMonkey
08-06-2005, 11:14
a tiny tiny difference in the cams can lead to totally different characteristics.

the mapping makes a huge difference, as it will be running lean i imagine at the moment.

/y0z

Yeah mine and Jesus's cams are different, thats prolly it, mine idles more like 2lives now, before the whole car shook at the lights..lol now its nice and burbly :D

J o n
08-06-2005, 11:17
yeah, mines a filthy whoare on tick over... love it :lol:

y0z2a
08-06-2005, 11:19
your a filthy whore full stop beejesus.

;-)

/y0z

FlamingMonkey
08-06-2005, 11:21
You gonna run it a York Jesus on the 19th, be good to compare 8)

By the way did you read about you dieing from a blood clot?...lol

J o n
08-06-2005, 11:26
hehe, best way Yoz! :lol:

yeah, will be running on the 19th pending disasters... lol. I'll need some practise on my launches though as this will be my first time on the 1/4 mile... if it dunt get into the 14's i'll be gutted... lol

y0z2a
08-06-2005, 11:46
you'll get 14's!!

lol

i am sure of it.

/y0z

KingStromba
08-06-2005, 11:47
Yoz do you live in Stone?

FlamingMonkey
08-06-2005, 11:48
Better had get 14's I got in 14's once before..... just..lol before I had the cams :lol:

J o n
08-06-2005, 12:16
well I want to get any sort of 14 on my first day, the better results can come when I know what i'm doing. lol

Good news is that it runs the bridge test as fast as the black 14.4 second former 2.0 valver that Clean16v owned, so it has the potential to be a monster.. plus I think this new engine may be faster too :lol:

POWARTEK
08-06-2005, 12:39
from vernier pulley being properly set up weve seen power jump by 20+Bhp and improve teh responce no end.

Always a godo idea to have them fitted at teh same time if poss.

Hope u broke the cams in properly too.

KingStromba
08-06-2005, 12:47
Broke cams in?

FlamingMonkey
08-06-2005, 13:16
Broke cams in?
Seconded, when they were first installed they seemed no different, a few days later I deffo could notice a difference, again the cams have been out and I noticed a difference for the worse albeit slightly, so by the same standard I should see an improvement once bedded in?

Didn't realise you had to bed them in?

KingStromba
08-06-2005, 13:17
How do you bed them in?

FlamingMonkey
08-06-2005, 13:18
I'd like to know too :P

Mark_Ritchspeed
08-06-2005, 13:21
Run engine between 2-3k rpm for about 15 mins, then let the revs gradually rise further with the occasional blip up to 6k+rpm. Job done.

Then take car out and rag the arse off it.

J o n
08-06-2005, 13:22
How do you bed them in?

good conversation, good meal and fine wine :lol:

FlamingMonkey
08-06-2005, 13:23
Run engine between 2-3k rpm for about 15 mins, then let the revs gradually rise further with the occasional blip up to 6k+rpm. Job done.

Then take car out and rag the arse off it.

Opps aint done that started it up, went for a rag up the road twice for about 1 min, today came to work, just been out for a rag now at dinner hehe thats all I've done so far.

Winston
08-06-2005, 15:23
Nice one ...Its all coming together

I love the N/W lol :oops:

Martin
08-06-2005, 19:15
Lets get readdddyyyy to RUMMMMMBBBBLLLE! :)

VIPERONE
08-06-2005, 21:43
im running my cams on standard timing......

POWARTEK
09-06-2005, 01:47
If u dnt wear them in properly u can destroy them very very quickly.

FlamingMonkey
09-06-2005, 08:52
im running my cams on standard timing......

Mine wouldn't run on standard timing and pulleys, well it would but like I said it was far from drivable, ask 2live how pissed off I have been this last few weeks with the car, I even thought about getting rid...lol

FlamingMonkey
09-06-2005, 08:53
If u dnt wear them in properly u can destroy them very very quickly.

ACE :?

KingStromba
09-06-2005, 11:08
People never say these thing on the 'just got my cams in threads' :shock:

They wait for the 'having problems with my cams threads' :shock:

J o n
09-06-2005, 11:18
i don't believe it tbh, if they were gonna break they would have done by now. any other failing would be mechanical defect from the cam manufacturer. besides, I'm a firm believer that as long as an engine is warm and has oil running through it then let the fun begin :lol:

KingStromba
09-06-2005, 11:21
Touch some wood man, quick :shock:

J o n
09-06-2005, 11:26
i've done 1300 miles on my new cams and didn't run em in like that :?

pretty sure 2 live will also have put his in, switched the car on from stone cold and given it death til it warmed up lol

BenR
09-06-2005, 23:20
werent they run in before you got them? :lol:

Not running in cams can be disasterous on some engines and levels of cams, but on the F7 and turning lifter in it, i havent ever heard of one wiping a lobe off or eating a cam because it wasnt run in.

J o n
10-06-2005, 07:54
werent they run in before you got them? :lol:

Not running in cams can be disasterous on some engines and levels of cams, but on the F7 and turning lifter in it, i havent ever heard of one wiping a lobe off or eating a cam because it wasnt run in.

that's a point they were run in for me! :oops: d'oh!