PDA

View Full Version : Overheating

Ollyb16v
18-12-2007, 22:42
My fan doen't appear to be cutting in, heard there is a low temp fan switch available, does this fit instead of the original standard one?

Allan
18-12-2007, 22:46
yeah same, the fan just kicks in early, but its only about £8 for a standard (GSF) one so stick with that

10 min change if you have a big enough and long enough socket.

But i would check the wires before you change the switch, the wires tend to fail more then the switch does.

easy test is take off the plug and connect the 2 pins with a wire or scew ect and the fan should kick in, if it doesnt then it will be the wire and if it does then change the sensor

northy
18-12-2007, 23:43
as alan says, sounds like the wire is at fault. u can trace it back from the switch into the loom. if its corroded or broke there is your prob

1995clio16v
18-12-2007, 23:58
heard there is a low temp fan switch available

Anyone got this? Worth it? Easy job?

Been meaning to look into this for a while. Mainly for summer traffic jams.

Purple
19-12-2007, 01:26
The water temperature needle needs to be more than halfway up the dial for the fan to kick in. I would think, with the cold weather now, the fan won't get much of a chance to cut in.

MAXIBOY
19-12-2007, 01:49
heard there is a low temp fan switch available

Anyone got this? Worth it? Easy job?

Been meaning to look into this for a while. Mainly for summer traffic jams.

yeah i have one. i think there a good mod just operates the fan a little earlier better than a low temp thermostat as it just cuts in a little quicker rather than allowing the engine to run cooler

summeh
19-12-2007, 16:35
As Allan Junior says, prob be the wires most likely. So no point getting a new switch until you have confirmed the wires are in good order. Also check fuse.