PDA

View Full Version : dual question

titcharoony
17-12-2007, 22:10
Here two random questions... which is better to fit to the sump plug when changing the oil, the crushable copper seal or the rubber/metal one?
and to settle an argument...... does turning on your heater fans on full heat into cabin a) reduce b) increase or c) do nothing - to the engine bay temperature?

MAXIBOY
17-12-2007, 22:28
think most use the rubber metal item now but both work.

won,t do a lot but you will increase the amount of cooling by adding a small extra radiator

1995clio16v
17-12-2007, 22:46
and to settle an argument...... does turning on your heater fans on full heat into cabin a) reduce b) increase or c) do nothing - to the engine bay temperature?

Reduces on mine.

I have to do it regulary in summer when sat in traffic.

Draws the hot air out the bay, so presume would reduce.

Prevents my temp guage going anything above halfway.

Gets ****ing hot like in the cabin!! lol!! :lol:

No need for me to do it in winter though.

richy
17-12-2007, 22:52
ideally the copper washers are for steel sumps and the metal/rubber washers are for alloy sumps

titcharoony
17-12-2007, 23:00
so on my williams i shud use...

richy
17-12-2007, 23:02
well your sump should be alloy....

drsmith1979
18-12-2007, 01:04
use the rubber and metal one..

putting the heater on full will take some of the heat out of the coolant as the heater matrix it passes through to warm the air going into the cabin is basically another radiator. it will obviously draw out some of the heat from the coolant and thus help to drop coolant temp levels. its an old over heating trick, but just a bitch when in a hot summer! haha

Yanoo_
18-12-2007, 03:45
1, rubber/metal for alloy sump
2, reduce

Any other question? :)

Daz.
18-12-2007, 07:59
Nowt like having your heaters on full blat on a hot day and having the windows down desperately searching for breathable air :D

titcharoony
18-12-2007, 12:43
thanks guys. i knew it took a little bit of heat out the engine bay. my friend insisted it did nothing at all. And yes ive sat in the summer, windows down, heaters on full, sunroof open, desperately trying to breathe...gf sat next to me saying 'i wish ud bought a car with air con u loser'....
and cheers bout the washer advice, im servicing myself this week so needed to know. oh joy, im gona enjoy getting that filter off. if its anyway near as fun as the r5's im in for some fun and games.