PDA

View Full Version : Missing pipe!!! Which one is it?

Wobba
17-12-2007, 15:21
Aftre a spirited driver the other nightm and having just filled my cooland levels up, I noticed a pool of fresh cooland on the floor. On investigation I can see a pipe missing:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/My%2016V/pipe.jpg

Pretty sure it's the one above, though thats not my car in the pic. There is definately coolant coming out but it seems to have levelled off and slowed down. Still coolant in the expansion tank. Water temperature seems ok...

I guess a purge is in order and replace it? But where does the pipe go?

Wobba
17-12-2007, 15:22
How the hell did I spell coolant 'cooland' TWICE!!!? I hate my works keyboard.

Wobba
17-12-2007, 16:45
I'll post exact pics when I get home, by which time it will be dark and near impossible to work on in sub zero temperatures anyway.

I am sure it is one of these ones:

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a391/gazrawly/clio_F7R/pipes_new.jpg

drsmith1979
17-12-2007, 17:05
i think the ones in the above picture are just air breather pipes?

not sure where the pipe in your first pic goes

Wobba
17-12-2007, 17:15
It's a metal pipe that curves round from the front of the blockand then sticks out toward the nearside...and has coolant comig out of it from what I can see. I'll post pics as soon as I can. Any help would be appreciated!

I'm going to have a good look about and see if I can see a loose pipe later in the dark and cold.

Wobba
17-12-2007, 18:09
Ok, think the ppe in the first pic has popped off and is facing the wrong way...looks like it's plugged into something but I will check before I drive home!

If so, easy fix.

Wobba
17-12-2007, 23:34
Ok...seems more complex now.

It is not just a pipe that has blown off.

There is a water leak from somewhere, but uncertain where.

The 2nd pic...it is the lower of the two pipes, and in the 1st pic, the highlighted pipe connects it to a lower metal pipe directly below it. Except mine does not. It seems mine has had a pipe similar to the intended one put in and the tube has been rerouted to it.

The pipe to the left of the green clip should normally go to the arrow location:
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/My%2016V/pipe2.jpg

Closer view:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w102/barneywobba/My%2016V/pipe1.jpg

Why would someone do this? Has it anything to do with a PiperX IC? It is just a breather pipe?

drsmith1979
18-12-2007, 01:18
dont know to be honest, i will have a look at mine and see where it goes in the morning and see if that sheds any light on it

Wobba
18-12-2007, 01:49

I need to understand what the pipe does, why it has been left open and if it is the cause for my cooland leak, or if it is a faulty exapnsion cap. Also I need to work out why someone has left it like that and rerouted the plastic hose to a homemade bypass pipe...

MAXIBOY
18-12-2007, 01:55
hi mate where the other ends goes is to the oil cooler is this still fitted and connected up because this could be bypassed thus making these pipes redundant.

Wobba
18-12-2007, 12:26
hi mate where the other ends goes is to the oil cooler is this still fitted and connected up because this could be bypassed thus making these pipes redundant.

I really don't know!

I imagine if I plugged in the other pipe to where it used to go there is probably a load of crap in the unused pipe now. I'll have a proper look later but I don't seem to have any oil cooling problems. Not even sure what the oil cooler looks like!

Robb
18-12-2007, 14:27
The oil cooler is just a platform that the oil filter sits on. It has two water tubes coming out of it facing up to the right of the engine.

Wobba
18-12-2007, 20:49
Well, I can barely see it under the camoflague of metal covered in corrosion, but the oil cooler is there, with the oldest looking oil filter I have seen. GOt a new filter to fit this weekend...

summeh
18-12-2007, 21:59
Well, I can barely see it under the camoflague of metal covered in corrosion, but the oil cooler is there, with the oldest looking oil filter I have seen. GOt a new filter to fit this weekend...

haha, have fun with that then.

Wobba
19-12-2007, 00:45

haha, have fun with that then.

Well I am down Locks Heath way in a few days so I'll let you do it for me ;)

summeh
19-12-2007, 16:32
hahaha, if you think i'm working outside in this cold think again!

besides haven't you heard, i don't like to get my hands dirty, hehe.