PDA

View Full Version : Strange bearing sound from centre of the engine??

106diablogti
16-12-2007, 13:38
Ok chaps my car has started to develop a wheel bearing style sound from the centre console area of the engine. There is no whine though.

The sound is constant which ever direction you steer the car.

I replaced the passengers side wheel bearing a month ago and decided to change the drivers side this weekend. I have just finished and taking the car for a spin, the sound still exists!!

I have checked the gearbox oil level, this is fine.

Now this leads me to the differential bearings. Does this sound like it could be the problem? I have no problems with gear changes, the box is sweet!!

So how much am I looking at roughly to replace the bearings.

Cheers

Rich

Purple
16-12-2007, 14:02
Something for you to note. When my main engine mount broke, it sounded like something around the gearbox area failed and the droning sound made me think that I had a major failure in the gearbox. Looking back, it was probably the gearbox leaning/vibrating on something after the engine mount failed.

106diablogti
16-12-2007, 14:08
Thats right its a droning sound. Which mount are you referring to? I have replaced the dog bone already.

Purple
16-12-2007, 14:44
The one on the driver side, under the plastic cover.

106diablogti
16-12-2007, 18:16
Was it visbly obvious that it was broken?b

106diablogti
16-12-2007, 22:17
Does anyone know of any tests I can do to work out the fault?

Purple
17-12-2007, 00:02
Was it visibly obvious that it was broken?b
I think my mechanics had to take it apart to find out that the mount was broke. In any case, the engine should move about a bit if the mount was broke or weak.

Allan
17-12-2007, 14:59
easy way to check the mount on drivers side is to jack the engine via the sump, put some wood on it, dont jack it too far as you will mess the gear box mount up...

Just jack until its held up and then you can take the bolts out of the mount on the drivers side.. take it out and inspect it check the oil filled part is still oil filled and away you go :D

if not replace, its an easy job can do all the mounts in hour or so

Purple
18-12-2007, 03:38
Just to put a counterpoint to my own suggestion. Just do a quick check that the mount is OK and there is no metal-to-metal vibration around the gearbox area. Just to eliminate the slim possibility of worn mounts. Because, as you may sadly know, when some dreadful noise is coming from gearbox (or engine), it's time to dig deep into the wallet.