PDA

View Full Version : Valver Wont Start, Help! :(

Jesse16v
16-12-2007, 04:10
Hi there, here is a link to my problem http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=286022

Was told about this website as there is more support.

MAXIBOY
16-12-2007, 05:07
could be a number of things.

fuel starvation due to running low and picking up dirt. blocked fuel filter.

could be flat as the alternators not changing. fuel pump not running right due to low voltages.

earths and earth leads. list goes on. first you need to make sure the battery fully charged and go from there.

pat_986
16-12-2007, 11:48
Yeah, charge the battery, then change the fuel filter.

Jesse16v
16-12-2007, 16:53
Right well today i have got it towed home as it was stuck at my ASDA! Im going to charge the battery up all day and see what happens tonight, i have only had the car just over a fortnight, and there is a big problem with fuelling too, seems to be running so lean and eats through the petrol like no tomorrow, makes a weird stuggling/rasping/crackling noise when acellerating over 2000 Revs, quite a bit of smoke comes from the exhaust too even when warm, im sure there is something wrong with the fuelling.

How much will a filter cost me? and does anyone have a picture so i know where to remove it and replace it with the new one?

MAXIBOY
16-12-2007, 17:19
hi mate

smoke ifs it black and using lots of fuel would mean its running rich not lean.
this may be lambda related as there quite common. or temp sender as it may think its always cold so over fuels.

the filter is under the drivers side rear of the car in front of the fuel tank forward of the rear wheels.

bought my last one for around a tenner. its a large/ish cylindrical silver container with a pipe fitted each end and held in a black plastic clamp.

Jesse16v
20-12-2007, 16:42
Charged the battery, put £10 worth of petrol in, connected a wire missing from alternator! and she fires up! im still getting this air gushing sound and i cant seem to find any loose tubes, the engine stuggles, then dies.

:( anyone

BRUN
20-12-2007, 17:02
check the hose to the map sensor, and the other end of it goes into the side of the inlet manifold, mine always used to split

Jesse16v
20-12-2007, 17:05
Is there anyway you can show me a pic of what to look for?

Jesse16v
20-12-2007, 17:36
http://www.allvehicles.co.uk/2901.jpg Illustrate?

MAXIBOY
20-12-2007, 17:55
at the bottom of the picture on the end of the inlet manifold there is a black bracket. there will be a little rubber tube going from by there to the map sensor which is the black plastic item on the scuttle panel between the strut top and the exhaust manifold

Jesse16v
20-12-2007, 18:09
I have just been down to the car and the pipe is intact! i managed to get enough time to run the engine and see where the air noise was coming from, its coming from the Induction/throttlebody area, you get some weird popping noises too?

MAXIBOY
20-12-2007, 18:21
maybe the iscv valve which is there needs removing and cleaning.

Jesse16v
20-12-2007, 18:24
Wish i were a mechanic, where do i have to look for that? and is it hard? just cant understand, sounds like the thottle is wide open sucking in but the engine isnt revving

Jesse16v
20-12-2007, 19:13
http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/4/6/3/3/2/6/webimg/67234722_tp.jpg

Is this it?

MAXIBOY
20-12-2007, 19:30
no its bolted on next to the throttle body but if your cars no revving i doubt its that. has the battery being changed and tested with a multimeter.

Jesse16v
20-12-2007, 19:37
The car is idling (revving) but it just sounds like the amount of air thats gushing it should be revving alot higher, what can i clean the iscv with?

MAXIBOY
20-12-2007, 19:39
carb cleaner. its the little unit on the front of the throttle body with a pipe going in either side and a little black electric plug on the top

Jesse16v
20-12-2007, 19:41
can i use fuel injector cleaner? i hear its the same sorta stuff

MAXIBOY
20-12-2007, 19:47
maybe mate. not 100% sure though. i usually spray carb cleaner in there

Jesse16v
20-12-2007, 19:52
Wish i could see a picture of one to explain this more, so what do i have to clean? the entire outside of it? do i have to clean inside? if so what do i need to take apart etc?

drsmith1979
20-12-2007, 19:54
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/drsmith/isvc.jpg

its a simple thing, you can take the mounting bracket off with 2 screws i think, remove the plug and then take off the two pipes, spray in some carb cleaner and makesure its nice and clean, use a cotton bud to move the valve inside to makesure it gets everywhere. takes 5mins

MAXIBOY
20-12-2007, 19:55
the inside mate. just pull the pipes off and clean the inside with cleaner

Jesse16v
21-12-2007, 11:36
Got up this morning and cleaned out the ISCV & Cleaned out throttlebody, i still get the same problem! I found where the mad air sucking is coming from, its sucking loads of air from the pipe that comes off the ISCV that goes into the air filter (K&N) when i put my hand on the pipe it sucked like a hoover! So i started it a few times then at oine point it blew smoke out of the pipe! haha Please this is my last chance.

BRUN
21-12-2007, 13:45
it will suck mate as that pipe leads to the inlet manifold, maybe its just noisy because you have the K&N on it

Jesse16v
24-12-2007, 14:07
Official Update: 24/12/07

I had a home tune/dianostics man come out to me yesterday as i tried pretty much what everyone suggested on here and i was getting no where.

So, the low down is this:

The ECU was sending his Krypton machine an error back to it, this equipment cant give details of the error but after going over the car it wasn't sending any fuel to the engine, soon as he put fuel down the pipe it started. When i bought the car i was told there was a superchip fitted, i still have reciept for it and i said to him is there any chance that the chip has tripped the ECU? He agreed there was a possibility. So my car is currently a non-runner because of this ECU problem. (As far as i can see the chip wasn't remapped either)

What i need to know now is the way forward? Can i send my ECU to the superchip people to have it removed/looked at?

Is there an alternative ? (I said about getting a new ECU but he insist it would cost hundreds to match up immobilisers etc)

Also i found that the fueling problem was partly down to the ECU but also down to faulty CRANK SENSOR & THROTTLE SWITCH (Showing high resistance) , so if anyone has any decent ones send them my way!

Would apprechiate anyones help here, don't want to see another valver dead.

BRUN
24-12-2007, 15:14
crank sensor doesnt cost that much mate and is easy to fit

you can buy ecu's on Ebay, as far as i know as long as you use one from a phase 1 it will work fine but obviously you then dont have the immobiliser

ive got 3 spare ecu's lol

Jesse16v
24-12-2007, 15:17
Well i have an aftermarket CAT 1 alarm and immobiliser fitted too so would i still have an immobiliser? Also when changing the ecu is it as simple and unplug and plug new one in?

Jamie.
24-12-2007, 16:44
Sorry to see you still havent resolved this problem.

Jesse16v
24-12-2007, 18:19
Here is the video, thanks to brun for uploading

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8mRmdCtdVU ,sorry for poor quality.

Jesse16v
26-12-2007, 15:10
Suggestions? lol

Jesse16v
29-12-2007, 19:04
She Lives!

Fitted new fuel filter today, filled up the tank, flushed out inlet/throttlebody , fitted fully charged battery, and guess what, she started first time!

The air gushing noise has now gone but the engine sounds a bit tappety? anyones suggestions? I can tell its also still running rich so i will still have the new sensors and see if that stops that (fingers crossed) aye :)

All i can say now is thankyou all for helping me along this and im going to be posting updates! :)

MAXIBOY
29-12-2007, 19:19
could be a number of things.

fuel starvation due to running low and picking up dirt. blocked fuel filter.

could be flat as the alternators not changing. fuel pump not running right due to low voltages.

earths and earth leads. list goes on. first you need to make sure the battery fully charged and go from there.

first things i,d suggested. glad its running now.
they can be tappety but a new filter and oil and maybe a topend treatment/flush might help.

BRUN
29-12-2007, 20:53
let it run for a bit mate, take it out for an easy drive, its been sat a while so will just likely need some oil getting around the engine, your oil doesnt get fully up to temp for about 30 mins so go for a decent run about