PDA

View Full Version : Guidance - is there a 'how to' on fitting waterpump/ therm?

samj
15-12-2007, 11:05
Good morning all; I hope you're all well?!

I'm new to the site and this is my first post; however I'm not new to forums in general! My partner owns a MK 1 16v clio; and as I've had so much help sorting my bmw through forums - I thought it would be a good idea to do the same for hers!

Basically of late her car has been overheating alot; so I've bought a low temp therm, low temp fan switch and new water pump. Is this all I should be replacing; I take it I should also be replacing the gaskets for therm and waterpump too?

i've been a bit of a numpty also and have managed to lose her haynes manual; is there a guide anywhere on here - for replacing the therm, waterpump and fan switch?

Thanks in advance for your responses; I look forward to your replies! :wink:

Rich
15-12-2007, 11:20
whilst you are going to the effort of the waterpump you may as well change the cambelt and tensioners as they are all in that region and there isn't that much more to take off to do the belt too

samj
15-12-2007, 11:25
whilst you are going to the effort of the waterpump you may as well change the cambelt and tensioners as they are all in that region and there isn't that much more to take off to do the belt too

So I take it alot has to come off to do the waterpump then? I haven't got time to tackle that this weekend; and I need to sort this over heating issue before monday morning when she needs the car for work again.

Do you think the Thermostat and fan switch will suffice for now to help sort the over heating?

drsmith1979
15-12-2007, 11:43
have you checked simple things like coolant level, checked for an airlock? etc...

waterpump is a bit of a long job depending on how competent you are, im sure some of the techies will be on soon to give you the low down

samj
15-12-2007, 11:45
have you checked simple things like coolant level, checked for an airlock? etc...

waterpump is a bit of a long job depending on how competent you are, im sure some of the techies will be on soon to give you the low down

Yeah I've check coolant - level is fine. It was running fine and then suddenly developed the issue, so I don't think it's an air lock as there has been nothing done to it to make this happen.

The low temp fan switch is an easy job so i'll do that first.....and await further advice on the thermostat or alternative advice! :wink:

Rich
15-12-2007, 12:11
thermostat is pretty easy too mate tbh, just make sure you have some gasket sealent too. basically you need to follow the coolant bottle pipes up to the head. remove the pipes from this part (i think there is 3 in total to remove). also remove the wiring loom from the plugs that are on the same part. you then need to take out your trusty torx bits and undo the 5 (i think) bolts. then give it a wiggle and the liquid gasket should break off and the thermostat housing should be in your hand! pop the old stat out pop the new one in (after cleaning the housing and the head where the gasket surfaces mate up) and reverse the process to re-fit. then just bleed up the coolant system

MAXIBOY
15-12-2007, 12:19
is the car losing coolant when it starts to overheat or just running very hot.

Laine_16v
15-12-2007, 12:35
Ditch the low temp stuff and get normal stat/switches and sort the cooling system out properly instead of masking the problem.

Lunner
15-12-2007, 13:14
I was chasing a similar problem for ages, turned out in the end to require a new rad

samj
15-12-2007, 13:27

It's just overheating after prolonged use; no loss of coolant.

I really can't afford to replace major parts of the engine or cooling system at this time of year; hence the 'quick fix' I'm trying to implement until I can afford to do a proper job in the new year.

drsmith1979
15-12-2007, 13:39
the low temperatures outside this time of year will help. is the fan kicking in when it should? maybe a fan temp start switch

MAXIBOY
15-12-2007, 14:37

It's just overheating after prolonged use; no loss of coolant.

I really can't afford to replace major parts of the engine or cooling system at this time of year; hence the 'quick fix' I'm trying to implement until I can afford to do a proper job in the new year.

could try flushing the system though or having the rad tested for flow and if need be get a secondhand replacement as moneys tight.

Robb
15-12-2007, 15:49
Changing the water pump isnt that hard when you know what to do. You'll have to take the alternator off, power steering pump in which case you'll need a new o-ring for the pipe that feeds into the pimp itself. All the casting/plates and the you'll be able to access all the bolts for the water pump. It's a pretty fiddling job i'd deffinatly say remove the radiator to make things easier.

Rich
15-12-2007, 19:47
you dont need to touch the power steering pump in a way which will affect the O ring. it will go back on and seal properly unless you use a butter knife to get it out!

Robb
15-12-2007, 21:03
you dont need to touch the power steering pump in a way which will affect the O ring. it will go back on and seal properly unless you use a butter knife to get it out!

You have to take all the plating off though to get to all the bolts?

BristolSam16v
16-12-2007, 01:20
First thing I would do before anything else is check the fan is kicking in when the car runs hot. Such a common problem with the wiring for the fan and easy to fix as well.

MAXIBOY
16-12-2007, 05:01
fans only make a difference when stationary. any car that moving forward as still overheats theres another reason. if over heating while stationary or in traffic then the fan could be a problem.

Rich
16-12-2007, 16:26

you do but taking the pipe off shouldn't fook the O ring

Robb
16-12-2007, 20:11

you do but taking the pipe off shouldn't fook the O ring

Has on mine... Tried a new genuine one and about 8 others in thickness!

Rich
16-12-2007, 20:36
very rare that mate. never know it happen to anyone before!

Coops
16-12-2007, 20:48
mine didnt reseal on my old valver, new ring sorted it tho