PDA

View Full Version : Oiled plugs

thelynx
14-12-2007, 15:40
Just took my plugs out to check them as the cars been firing iffy and cleaned to idle valve and coolant temp senosr also to try and sort this idle problem out and Ive changed everything else. One of the plugs was saturated in oil? What does this mean, obviously its not right!! It was either cylinder 2 or 3

Thanks for any replys :D

drsmith1979
14-12-2007, 15:45
i had a similar problem, turned out to be spilt oil from filling up via the oil cap, it had seaped down under the cover and into the plug hole.. i couldnt see it when putting the spark plug socket in so thought like you it must be in the chamber etc....

its very common, may even be a worn rocker cover gasket... nothing to worry about. Idle problem will be one of the usual suspects, mine was doing it so cleaned iscv, changed lambda, leads, rotor arm, dizzy etc... turned out to be a loose coolant temp sensor! fixed it and it hasnt done it since!

thelynx
14-12-2007, 15:49
Well for the idle problem ive changed the leads, rotor, diz, coil and now plugs.. Cleaned sensor and iscv. Up til last night it was still being iffy.. But ive not driven it today with new plugs, may have made a diff may not have.. Best go see what it does

thelynx
14-12-2007, 16:16
Well just took it for a drive and on cold start it idle ok, once warm it hates idling. Also when driving in any gear and you go to accelreate it has a tiny hesitation then clears, would this be caused by the same thing? Or is this something else now lol

drsmith1979
14-12-2007, 16:31
if its warm its not the coolant temp sensor, that causes issues on cold start up. when its warm, usual suspects are..

- speed control sensor
- tdc sensor
- lambda....

have you had your emissions checked? alot of garages do it for free to generate business, try and get it looked at, you may find your lambda is on the blink.

thelynx
14-12-2007, 16:35
Havent had the emission checked yet.. Will go and get it booked in to see what they can do..

thelynx
14-12-2007, 16:40
How much is one or all of the above gonna set me back?

drsmith1979
14-12-2007, 16:44
lambda is around £60, you can change it yourself if you are lucky and its not seized in, its simply in the downpipe and clips into an electrical plug.

not sure on the other 2, they can be expensive but im sure you can get them cheap in good condition used.

clio_rsi_turbo
14-12-2007, 22:25
the lamba is only roughly six months old mate.

thelynx
14-12-2007, 23:49
6 months old eh! Still dont mean its working properly.. Im gonna see if I can get a diagnostics check and go from there.. :P

Wobba
15-12-2007, 01:51
Two of my plugs and socket areas were soaked in oil from where previous owner spilt oil. I swapped them all out and cleaned up most of it, and voila, engine running perfectly.

The oil had managed to seep round the thread and into the engine and obviously cause sparking problems.